DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

All right guys, we have been doing research on this and have been getting nowhere.

Neither Georgia nor Coral really seem to be big eaters. We feed them frozen and freeze dried raw Primal and Stella and Chewies. We will also feed some Fromm with those. The only problem is that neither one will really eat. They will sometimes if we feed them out of our hand, but Coral will especially walk away after a few bites. I've always been under the philosophy of, "Let them eat for 15-20 minutes, and after the allotted time, take the food away." The only problem with that philosophy is that Georgia will throw up stomach bile in the morning if she doesn't eat in the morning and at night.We give them only a couple of small Primal treats a day, and feed them no table scraps or any other food. We have a variety of flavors for all foods, but sometimes they refuse all types. We've even tried egg, beef/rice, and ground chicken. If they don't want to eat, they won't take even the tastiest of food. Again, I wouldn't mind and would just let them eat when hungry if they didn't throw up. Any ideas or suggestions?

I don't believe in free feeding, as no esteemed person in the field recommends it.

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel your pain - Gavin was the same way with the bile.  For some reason, however, his appetite has really picked up in the last few months.  It seemed to coincide with me adding EPO to his meals, but that could be a coincidence.  I have added toppers and when all else failed, the most potent topper (and once you smell it you will know why) was Trippett's Tripe (canned food).  Yuck, but dogs dig it :)

I'm not big on free feeding either, but are there solid researched reasons by said 'esteemed persons' for determining it is altogether a bad idea? 

I'm not esteemed, but I have always free-fed food to my dogs. None have been over weight. Not even the piggest labs in my home.  The only food they over ate was trying to get into the trash or counter surfing.  I know not all dogs can be fed this way but it's healthy. 

My vet, who you might consider esteemed in animals said once to me, " Animals in the wild don't eat meals. They don't eat at 6am and 6pm.  They eat what they catch when they catch it.  They might go a few days with a small snack and then have a good meal"  Makes sense to me.

This is not why I free feed. He just told me that a few years ago when when Spud was sick and he had asked eating habits. 

I do it for many reasons.  In humans, smaller meals several times a day are much better on glucose levels, energy, hunger, digestion...   etc. 

Spud eats small meals for a few days, then will lie down and enjoy a nice meal.

If intake concerns me, I dont fill his bowl. I only keep a cup in the bowl at a time.  You dont have to free feed a large amount~ keep a huge bowl on hand. Just small servings and monitor.

I respect what others do.  Feeding 6am and 6pm is fine but free feeding in our home has worked for many a years.

You have made very valid points and I appreciate the information. Thanks for your input!

Your pups dont look underweight.  Why worry?   A thinner dog is much healthier.  Less weight on growing bones, less weight on the knees, less weight on the hips.

I think if a dog is severely underweight intervention is needed but not because they are picky.  Give them food and when they are hungry, they eat!  If they dont eat, dont worry, as long as they maintain a weight.  I know the bile issue is a pain... :(    Maybe a homemade cup of plain yogurt before bed would work

Very true! We will try a little yogurt and let nature take its course. Thank you!

I adore the picture!!!!   Maybe a spoonful of peanut butter before bedtime would prevent the bile in the morning?

I agree, Nancy.  That's an adorable picture and perfect for this discussion 

Picture is so cute!  

Now I know why your dog is not eating!!!   LOL   < wink wink> 

Really adorable 

We only give her one glass a day...we're responsible parents.

LMAO!   :) 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service