DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Any one have Doodle Puppies that are not too expensive? 

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOL!!!!!!

I am too scared to turn the calculator on to even estimate when I spend on the girls.

Besides the 'basics' that Karen posted, I have to add gas and mileage on my car for the countless beach trips that are 110 miles round trip, our yearly mecca weekend to Dewey Beach, DE for the doodle romp, collars with matching leashes (the only 'dress up' the girls do), my Flip video camera, new still camera, no clue how many media cards I buy each year. I think I will stop here because PayPal and Amazon are calling telling me I haven't ordered anything in the past 24 hours.

The others are right -- there are no 'cheap' dogs out there.  The most important thing is you find a quality breeder, period.  A rescued/rehomed doodle would save you the initial $1500-$2500 starting cost, but that doesn't mean you'd be done spending money.

After that how much you spend beyond the basics is up to you.  I don't count fun trips and cameras and extra toys as part of the normal expense of having a dog--doodle or otherwise.  Those are things one does for fun and because it's enjoyable.

There are some 'start-up' expenses as far as crate, food bowls, leashes, collars and things that will last through the dog's life (more or less) and then there is health care.  Just going for annual vet visits isn't terribly pricey, but should anything unusual come up or you have to take in stool samples, get bloodwork, have other issues...the cost can climb quickly.  We've been blessed so far with no major health issues in our doodles and thus for us annual vet visits and the occasional ear infection, check of stool/urine, skin infection has been about it.  We buy one of the less expensive quality foods which costs us about $40 every 3 weeks for two dogs...this would be under $400 for one dog annually.  But depending on the type of doodle you get, grooming expenses can add up quickly.  Both of mine are first generation labradoodles that shed and I do most of their grooming myself.  We had to spend money for a grooming table, good clippers, blades, combs, etc...but overall it wasn't bad.  Taking them to get groomed and cleaned up every 6 weeks would be more expensive.

Toys, chew toys, etc don't have to be constant expenses, though.  It just depends on you and your dog's needs.  I would say training is extremely important and a few classes of $60-150 each adds cost. 

So while I don't spend as much on my dogs as others do, you just never know what you'll want and your dog will need.  It's good to be prepared to spend more than you think you will...just in case.

Heck, daycare at 2 days per week for Rua is $1900 per year.  Granted, that isn't one of the "basics", but I feel better knowing that Rua is playing with friends and socializing at least a few days a week when we are working.
Hey Dori, move to Ohio and Rua can Daycare with Lucy and Sophie for free!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service