DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everybody,

I wanted some insights into housebreaking.  I live in an apartment and am trying to crate train Charlie and he is already trained to go on wee wee pads.  What I am doing is having him in the crate for about three hours and then taking him outside to go to the bathroom.  When outside i put down a wee wee pad and pees on it.  He has yet to poop on a wee wee pad outside, only the ones inside.  Will it be easy to get him off using the wee wee pads outside and just peeing and pooping on the curbs?

Thanks.

Alex

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I"m curious as to why are you using the pads?  Are you planning on having them down in the house?

The breeder has trained him to use them in the house. I would take him outside and initially he wasn't going outside unless they were there. Today was the first day he peed outside without the pad.

However I come inside and sometimes he just ends up having an accident right after eating his food. So I leave the pads down inside the house to minimize the accidents when he is eating.

Alex

Alex, I copy and pasted from a post I made a while back.  Harley is my first dog that I ever crate trained and he was the easiest ever....When I first started learning how to crate train I was honestly skeptical about how much time the puppy stays in the crate, but if you think about having a new born baby and how much quite/nap time we give them, it then makes more sense.  Also, I think key is taking Charlie outside immediately from the crate and if he doesn't do his business, then back to crate for a bit and try again a few minutes  later.  He will learn very quickly that he needs to go when you take him.   And btw...Charlie is adorable!!

A very simplified version of the schedule I went by....modified slightly to our bedtime and wake schedule. 

A typical house breaking schedule for an 8 week old puppy is as follows:

6 AM Potty, food, water, exercise/play for 20-30 minutes, crate or exercise pen.
10 AM Potty, water, exercise/play for 20-30 minutes, crate or exercise pen.
12 PM Potty, food, water, exercise/play for 20-30 minutes, crate or exercise pen.
2 PM Potty, water, exercise/play for 20-30 minutes, crate or exercise pen.
5 PM Potty, food, water, exercise/play for 20-30 minutes, crate or exercise pen.
7 PM Potty, last water, exercise/play for 20-30 minutes, crate or exercise pen.
11 PM Potty, Bedtime/crate.

Read more here: http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/8-5-wk-old-puppy-potty-pro...

I know this will be harder since you live in an apartment but I would ditch the pads and go out very very often.

I agree Nicky!   Getting Charlie to realize going outside from the beginning makes the whole process easier in the long run.  

We used the potty patch on our balcony for our pup and still do (8 months old now).  Worked like a charm.  The minute we took him home we brought him out and he did his business immediately and has been doing so ever since.  It's perfect for those times in between walks.  The past few months now he scratches on the patio door for us to let him out as well.

My only complaint is sometimes he misses the target.  However, I guess I can't get too upset since I still do as well sometimes hah!

I have gotten rid of the pads and watch Charlie intently.  But he seems to go do his business outside unless he has an accident in the house because I do not take him outside soon enough.  

What was the name of the spray used with indie?  It might be good to just help reinforce Charlie's habits - outside of his normal treats.

Thanks all.

Alex

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service