DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, I'm new and we have been planning on getting a doodle for a year now. I'm sure we all have in our mind what the typical doodle dog looks like. After finally finding a breeder I trusted the dog mom and dad finally had pups. It was a white doodle mom and red miniature poodle dad. I though for sure one of the pups would be that beautiful light tan color. All the pups came our medium apricot, which looks very dark to me. Also the breeder recently changed her allocations to 100% temperament testing. So she matches the puppy up with the family. So we no longer get to pick gender, coat, size. We can pick one characteristic but she said mainly we will get the puppy she says fits best with our family. So now I am having reservations about this litter. Not only it isn't the color I like but I'm paying $ 3,000 and get no say in what puppy I get. What is everyone's thoughts on this process? Thanks in advance!!

Views: 2109

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DJ, please know that any doodle of any generation and any type can shed. The curliest, fluffiest, doodliest looking doodle can shed as an adult. If shedding would be a deal breaker for you, you need to forget about getting any doodle puppy. 

A good experienced breeder who is producing multigens is usually not producing "flat coated" dogs. But again, no guarantees. 

so sweet!  Personally, I would want some choice/input into the decision.  And about size, my Dante is from the 4th breeding of a pair, and all the puppies from the three prior litters have been 40-50 lbs.  Dante is 33 lbs at just 4 months, and is the biggest of his litter now by 10 lbs at 4 months old.  Despite the consistent results with size, and rather wanting a smaller dog, I realized by getting a doodle that it's the roll of the genetic dice.  We expect Dante to exceed 60 lbs.  Just something to keep in mind.  We don't mind at all, we are head over heels about him.  But with a cross breed, it's never certain.

How much larger is she expecting her new litter to be? If it makes you feel better Yeti was estimated to be 35-45 pounds and is only 30!
I'm wondering if I should change my 1 request to girl? Originally I said lighter color but she felt they all looked the same in color and didn't like my answer. So I said size we want the smaller one. Are girls usually the smaller ones of the litter? Thought if I picked girl and would also have a chance If getting a smaller to regular sized pup. . I know mixed breeds who knows how big they will get. But some puppies do trend to either being smaller or larger.

In purebreds, females are almost always smaller than males at adulthood. But not always as puppies. It's like human babies; as babies, you can't tell who is going to be 6 ft tall and who is going to be 5'2". 

In mixed breeds like doodles, even in adulthood, a female could end up bigger than a male from the same litter.

DJ, I wouldn't put color as my one priority because they are so similar.  As to size - like Karen says, you can't really know.  What else is n your bucket list?

I was thinking of putting girl as my request. There are only 2 girls in the litter and she won't tell me or specify which ones are the girls. Maybe she will soon who knows?? She weighed them and they are all trending the same size but said that can change from now until 7 weeks. I would prefer a 20-25 pound and she said if one is trending to 30-35 she would be able to tell. I talked to someone who got a big boy pup from her last year he was the biggest in the litter and is now 31 pounds. So I'm debating either size or girl preference.
I think it ridiculous she won't even say which are boys and which are girls. What is the purpose of that? Something seems off to me.
Honestly it is taking every fiber in my body to not tell her off!! The only thing that is keeping me is I know they are high quality dogs and puppies. We've been waiting for over a year, I've checked with other breeders and all the summer lists are full. My kids have their hearts set on these puppies so I'm waiting it out. We always planned on getting 2 pups in the end but will wait a year in between. I know what breeder I'm going to the next time. She was my first pick breeder and I loved her and her dogs but her dog wasn't getting pregnant so I had to leave. If anyone wants that breeders name I would gladly email her info! Sorry for the rant but I do believe in the end maybe all breeders are a bit cray cray!!!
I just politely emailed her asking when she sends individual pictures will she specify the genders of the pups. I'm sure I'll be kicked off the list now. On her website it now says if you ask any hypercritical physical traits about the puppies you will be removed without deposit being refunded. I will be sooo happy with this is all over!!
Omg!! This was her reply! I never read the pups would come home already fixed!! This was her reply to my email.

No, we will not be giving any info about the puppies at all when we post pictures. Also, your puppy will be spayed/neutered already, when you take him/her home so gender shouldn't make a difference. Thanks! :)

Thoughts??

ESN (early spay/neuter) is a deal breaker for many of us here, as it has definitively been linked to orthopedic problems as well as cancer, especially in Goldens and GR mixes. There is absolutely no good reason for it and plenty of bad ones. I would ask for a refund.

We've had many discussions here about this. Here are just a few:

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/post-early-spay-neuter-res...

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/healthandmedicalissues/forum/topi...

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/interesting-article-about-...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service