DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We live in an area of the country (northern Utah) where the winter months are very cold and snow covered. During the warmer seasons of the year, going outside to play and exercise a dog is easier. But in the winter, it becomes more difficult due to freezing cold temperatures, deep snow, and limited daylight hours (gets dark very early). To make matters worse, our city does not have a dog park, and the nearest one is closed from November to March. I'm wondering what other people do with their dogs to get play and exercise during winter (especially those who experience similar weather conditions)?

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This may not be what most of you are looking for but it is a big help in assisting Bailey Doodle ( The PRINCESS) Getting around and staying warm in the deep snow of Northern Ohio's snow belt. Aside from the debth of the snow that when it is wet forms ice balls on the fur of her lets and losing her beloved rubber balls under the deep snow Bailey loves the snow. SheLoves laying on it running up and down the drifts and once she and I make a trail through the 2 + ACRE yard of grass , trees, and gardens I find a few balls that are light enough not to totally sink into the deep snow. I toss it and whe retrieves it. We normally play fetch 40 minutes a day twice a day during the year. She loves it. We have 12 rubber coated balls of identical appearnce and size. I clean them after every use. If one gets lost Bailey retrieves it eventually. I fouund that ;the snow depth in the woods is usually lower than in the yard so we often use that area.The ice balls on ther legs are a big problem I had no luck with many types of shoes for dogs so I went to a few used childrens clothinng stores and bought onesies and larger all of the elastic variety. I cut the legs and arms off and sized them for Bailey. They slide on easily and i secure them with velcrow. If i don't knock the ;snow balls off with regularity they can fal off and we start again in spring when we can find them. They look funny but they work. Bailey also works out in the house where we have alot of area to run. She has also learned to take her ball up the stairs drop it and then chase the ball. When done from the outside I purchased a very powerful dryer that blows the snow off. Thir is no hearer. It comes from the heat of the motors. It works.
Hello,
I am from Northern MI and have 3 Doodles in bad weather it is sometimes like a three ring circus if they can't get out. When the natives get too restless I get out the stuffed dog hoofs and this gives them entertainment for hours. They come from Texas and they last for several hours and keep their teeth pearly white, breath sweet. There is no order like the plain cow hoof you buy at feed stores. This is the whole hoof with kuckles and all.
When snow gets too deep I take snow blower out and blow paths for them to play. The only bad thing is they want me out there throwing. And I do it! Years ago I would cross country ski, snow shoe.
Bev, Harlee,Chloe & Li'l Buddy

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service