DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am confused on how to describe Rocky's coat.  I had found a website once that explained the different doodle coats - but now I can't find it and I was trying to tell the new groomer what kind of coat he has and all I could come up with is thick and wavy - lol.  He's a F1 and there are several pics on my slide show... oh - and he sheds! 

Would you guys mind taking a look and telling me what type of coat he has?? 

On another note - he's going to a new groomer on Wednesday and I'm a nervous wreck!

Heather

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like fleece to me.
I never know what to call the early generation doodle coats, honestly. But doodle coat terminology really isn't anything most groomers are familiar with anyway.  I think it is something only relevant to doodle folks.  My best guess is he has a hair / fleece combo coat, possibly with an undercoat (but not necessarily).  But you could just describe it as you see it in everyday terms and explain he sheds and how long it is and what you want done with it and when your new groomer sees his coat that should help her enough.

Thanks y'all!  I guess I really want to know more for me than for the groomer... I am always struggling over the right terms... He does have an undercoat... you can't even find the skin really.... it's so thick!! 

Heather

No one has actually been able to describe Ned's coat - not any breeder who meets him - and I am talkin' experienced well-known breeders here.  So if they can't figure a coat out, no one can.  Welcome to the CCC (Coat Curiousity Club) where many of us reside.  Clancy's coat, on the other hand, is very easy =  loose waves, hair/fleece combination that sheds and rarely mats. And that is what I think Rocky's is also.

I've seen discussions about an undercoat. What is an undercoat? If I have a doodle who doesn't shed but mats does she or doesn't she have a undercoat? Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Probably not, JoAnne.
Rocky's coat looks very much like my Hunter's who is also an F1.  I always have trouble saying what she has to - its such a combination!  It does have an undercoat and the top is more wirey with a TON of cowlicks!  What the heck would you call that?! LOL Good Luck!!!!!!!!   Rocky is a doll by the way ;-)

Hair/fleece combo. 

For example, Peri is a fleece and doesn't shed (no "hair" as they call it).  Her coat:

It looks similar to Myla's and the groomer refers to it as a fleece coat. TOTALLY thick and wavy many layers like you say before you see skin. Good luck at the groomer and make sure you tell her what you want before you let her start!! Chloe was cut to look like a poodle! I cried so hard, it was for her 1st birthday. Myla has to get brushed out every 3 weeks by the groomer and I TRY my best at home in between. Good luck-her hair flys around a bit too.
Thanks everyone - ok - so from what I'm getting from you guys and looking at pictures... Rocky has a wavy fleece coat.  Jennifer your description of Chloe is Rocky exactly... thanks you guys!

Healther,

I hope the link below works.  It's from SeaSpray Australian Labradoodles.  It has GREAT descriptions and even close-up pictures of different coat types.

http://www.seasprayaustralianlabradoodles.com/SeasprayAustralianLab...

Great Page Connie!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service