DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Which is less traumatic an airplane cargo ride or a 20 hour ride home?

Our doodle is almost ready to come home, and we can't wait. We live about 800 miles from the breeder. We were hoping she would be small enough to fit under the seat in front of us but it doesn't look like that is likely to be the case. Here's the question - which do you think would be less traumatic for the pup: being shipped in airplane cargo (which seems really scary/dangerous) or a 20 hour drive home?

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where is your doodle puppy coming from? If he is coming fro within the USA, you can fly him PetAirways. They fly them in the cabin in crates. They even take the time to check on them and feed them. If that is not an option, the car ride would probably be best...Congratulations!:)

I did think of that but PetAirways doesn't fly where we need her to be. She's coming from Washington State to California.

oh, I thought they flew to California. I would do anything but send her in cargo. One time, my mom and dad flew their chow chow mix in cargo and he came back aggressive. They socialized him a lot before that, so they don't know why he came back like that. It could have been his breed though. I have only ever met one chow chow whose owners trusted him fully. If it were me, I wouldn't send him cargo though.:)
You know, you are right they do fly to LA but don't fly out of Seattle. Sorry for the mix up! I do think you're right though. A car ride seems much more humane even though it will take so much longer for the pup.
oh I see:) That's all right. You just have to take more stops:)

DK Member,  Denise and Hunter,  works in the airline industry ( has for 20 years).  She has a lot of insight on these issues.  Hopefully she will chime in on this discussion.  She is usually on in the mornings.. I think.

If not, leave a message for her on her page.  Ask her to give her opinion on this discussion.

I picked up our Fudge at a breeder's house 600 miles from our house. She did fabulous in the car, no problems whatsoever. Our Vern was an almost 400 mile drive and again, no problem. Personally, I prefer driving, but I don't like to fly :)
Me too Laurie.  We drove 500 miles.  The doodles slept in our arms.
That was the best part!
Personally, I would never fly a dog regardless of age.  We have a friend who is a pilot for AA and he "drove" his dog from California to Florida.  He said knowing what he knows, he would never put a dog in the cargo hold.  I got my Gracie Doodle from a local breeder.  Otherwise I would have driven to pick her up.  I just want to start with a clean slate on the puppy not having any "issues" because of a flight.  You can make it a little vacation.  There are lots of hotels that will let you bring in a dog.  Just take your time driving and stop every now and then to let the puppy have some play time on some grass or walk her so she can stretch her legs.  Try not to take her to the grass right outside a fast food place.  You just know that every other dog as done their business there and your pup is not safe with her shots yet.
Back in the day... in BD time (Before Doodlekisses).. I would never have thought twice about fling our dog... infact we did... flew Tori in from Canada... wanted to go pick her up and fly back w/ her, but it was just too much money.... she came via Air Canada to NY.  I swear I have a feeling this is why she has some of the 'anxiety' she has... just my opinion.
Car ride!!!  You can stop in a car.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service