DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Do you ever wish for just one moment that you didn't have dogs? I mean, I love the dogs like they're my kids. I wouldn't be able to survive life without dogs. Because of that I think sometimes I forget that they aren't in fact little children in fur suits. But then they do something that makes me remember...

My love of animals extends to all my backyard friends. I’m the critter girl.

Sometimes the squirrels drive me nuts when they dig up my flowers. But they’re so cute when they play together. They tease the dogs and they always make me laugh when they yell at us. I know there are a few chipmunks around here, though I rarely see them, but the rabbits seem half tame. They let me walk right up to them before they run off. I want the girls to love the furries they share the yard with, but instead they love to eat them. When I chose doodles prey drive was not one of the boxes I was trying to check off.

In the last week Ava came to the door with a squirrel tail hanging out of her mouth like it was a literal toy. Now, that squirrel wasn’t freshly dead. So I think it died of other causes and Ava just found it. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.) Then it stormed last week and Katie found a baby bird that she snuck into the house and proudly took to my bed. And tonight is the worst. The absolute worst.

Here it is, midnight. I just got home from work. It was a busy evening. I fed the girls and we went outside. I was minding my own business scrolling through facebook on the porch when I hear this… crying. It didn’t register for a second, but then I realized, oh no the girls have something. The next thing you know I’m running around the backyard barefoot, by the light of my cellphone flashlight screaming like a lunatic. I can only imagine that my neighbors think I’m insane.

I see Ava drop something and I called her to come with me, and then I found Katie and I saw another one. And I’m begging them to come back inside with me. They were actually pretty cooperative considering how excited they were with their find.

I got them into the screen porch and was about to go look for the problem when I realize that the crying is now coming from inside with the dogs. I couldn’t see anything, but it only took a second to figure out that the crying was coming from inside Ava’s mouth. I pulled her mouth open and a baby bunny fell out.

A teeny tiny baby bunny that was still naked. It nuzzled into my hand and shirt like I was it’s mommy. I’m pretty sure that I’m in love with this bunny and want it to have a spot in the bed with the dogs. It was pretty active and it didn’t have any visible injuries. I made the girls stay inside while I’m out searching the backyard – again, by cellphone light. I managed to find the nest, and the second baby bunny that didn’t fare as well. I took that one out and put the one that seemed okay back into the nest. It burrowed back in. I didn’t see more, but maybe there were siblings in there for it to cuddle with – I didn’t want to disturb them if they were there. It’s like Operation Wildlife over here. I think there should be a version of 911 for animals. I would have called it an ambulance. But since there isn’t, I hope I did the right thing. I hope the mommy comes back. I wanted to keep it, but I’m pretty sure I am ill equipped to keep a newborn bunny alive.

Now the dilemma is that the dogs know they’re there. How am I going to ever keep them away from that nest? And why on earth would the bunny pick my yard to have her babies? My nextdoor neighbor has a perfectly good yard and no pets to go on a bunny killing spree. I feel like I’m harboring two felons. Do I need to turn them in for assault? I keep telling them how naughty they are, but I’m pretty sure they think I’m telling them that they’re pretty.

I accept the dogs for who they are. I know these are the things that dogs do (but for the record, Papillons do not do things like this!) I just wish someone would explain to them that they are supposed to act more like little furry people and less like murdering heathens. I’m not sure how much backyard homicide I can take!!

Does anyone else have this issue? Better yet, has anyone else solved this issue? I feel like they need a class in loving their neighbors. I also wonder if we had a bunny of our own that the dogs would understand that it was part of the family and they couldn’t hurt it. Because now I really want a bunny to join our family!

Views: 675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are so cute! I don't care if they're not very smart. They're adorable! I wonder if my babies are still alive in there. 

I am no expert on bunnies but these New Jersey bunnies are not dumb. They move when Nala comes flying and she can fly....and she can't get them. They outwit her every time. The only time she brings me the bunnies is when they are newborn. Then I place them back in the nest. We have had 2 batches of bunnies and they make it through every time :) (knock on wood) lol. Christine

The girls are suddenly really interested in the area where I blocked off the bunny nest. I wonder if that's a good sign that the bunnies are doing okay in there! I would like to see them. But I hope I don't have to fish them out of the dogs mouths again!

I always can't help myself and peek in on them during the day when the mom isn't around. I pull up the fluff, peek, and then cover them. If u r wondering if mom has abandoned them u can put 2 sticks like an X on the nest and if the sticks get moved u know momma has been there. They grow fast and hop out real quick. If ur doodles r interested in that area I'll bet they r doing good. Nala can smell a bunny from a mile away. Lol

I confess. I couldn't stand the suspense any more so this morning I went and peeked in on them. They're moving in there! And they look like they are growing and have some fuzz. I just looked for a second and then covered them up so I wouldn't disturb them. But they are alive and well. I can't wait until they get big enough to come out! Of course then they will be in danger again, and I've brought them this far I can't let the dogs eat them now! I'm not sure what will happen. I might have to have a serious talk with them about staying on the other side of the fence!

It is a huge inconvenience and a lot of work to keep Nala from getting in the bunny basket. Once they leave the nest, they are quick enough and Nala can't get them. My husband can't take the bunnies. He won't hurt them and even made me my bunny basket, but he has no patience for watching Nala and the baby bunnies and then of course there is rabbit poop all over the place :(. He actually called me yesterday because I am away with the kids and Nala and said the bunnies are all over the yard! When we r home they stay away for the most part because of Nala. I can't help myself. If I know they are there I have to keep Nala away from the babies. But I am glad once it is over. But they are so darn cute. Good luck!

Sounds familiar!! Finn is after everything!!  Hunts frogs in the tall grass, then tries to play with them- needless to say that never ends well!!  Then he carries it around in his mouth like his little pet- UGH.  2 weeks ago big ugly mama snapping turtle arrived to lay her eggs (which most years are eaten by a skunk or raccoon).  After barking at it he decided to try to pick it up!  Did the turtle go into its shell- Oh no- mouth wide open trying to snap- had to grab him by the collar and drag him in the house!!  The week before Mama Turkey and babies were at the burn pile- He started barking, Mama flapped and shrieked, babies went running in all directions and fortunately Finn was so focused on Mama he never saw the babies!  I was screaming at Finn, he chased the turkey who eventually got herself in a tree!!  Had to tramp into the woods and grab Finn and put him in the house!!  Went back outside and found 3 babies curled up in balls in the grass- left them and when I went  back 20 minutes later I guess Mama came back and collected them.  He went berserk when a hummingbird got stuck in the garage- was standing on his hind legs as it was flying around- yes I rescued it!  Oh yea and also this month, Finn knew a bird was building a nest in the front shrub so one morning he dove into the bush, mama took off and he came out with the nest (thank goodness No eggs or babies).  Mama has relocated to the neighbors I think!!  Last year he carried around a painted turtle for an hour before I could get it from him!  Love having a big yard for him to run in but......it's like having a toddler sometimes!!

All you all have made me so grateful that here in AZ, metro PHX we don't have cute and cuddly things in our yard. Snakes and lizards yes, and Jake stays away from those.

I'll take every rabbit in the greater Chicago metropolitan area over just one snake. I can't even stand to type the word! 

I am with you on that one. It can be a little green grass snake and I will scream like I just saw a rattler. 

I think the grass is usually greener on the other side, but in this one case I don't think I'd trade you! I'll keep wrestling the girls for bunnies. But no poisonous things, please!

Aww we live in the city so I haven't seen any snakes in the yard, they are a risk when hiking. Heaven knows it's way too hot to hike this time of year.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service