DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,

I'm hoping for some suggestions for my shedding doodle. Since he's single coated I don't want to use a Furminator (which has done a great job on my previous double coated dogs). I've brought him to the groomer for a "de-shed" but he still comes back shedding just as much and they say they brushed him out as thoroughly as they could. His fur is long, soft, and wavy.

Currently I use a retractable slicker brush but wanted to see if there was something better out there. Anyone else have a shedding single-coated doodle?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Vickie

Views: 307

Replies to This Discussion

Jack is an F1 who sheds heavily. The furminator did not work well for him, and it left his coat very choppy looking.

I use a Chris Christiansen T brush and a shedding rake. You can get shedding rakes at any pet supply store, they are very inexpensive and do a great job of collecting a lot of loose hair.  Mine looks like this, it's made by Safari. I think I paid $6 for it. 

My Bob is the exact same - F1 wavy and sheds like crazy. I use a rake to get out all of the loose stuff, and the tiny bit of soft undercoat that he has. Then I take the Chris Christiansen T Brush and go through him both in the direction of the hair and against the hair. I use a little bit of a "flinging" motion with my wrist, and all of the hair flies out. Do it outside!!

Ahhh- I just see that Karen posted the exact same tools! Great minds think a like!  :-)

LOL! 

Clancy sheds a lot. I see that some have recommended a rake and I think for many shedding dogs that is the best answer.  When I use a rake on Clancy, he is very uncomfortable with it.  I think perhaps his coat is sort of a mix between shedding and non-shedding so when I use the rake, it pulls out more than loose hair. However rakes are so cheap it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it.  We use the same expensive flexible slicker brushes and combs on him that I use for my non-shedders - I would never have paid that much for a brush for him if I didn't already have them.  There is a much cheaper version of the slicker I also use by MGT. It has it's faults, but it would be fine as the main brush for a shedding dog. 

https://jet.com/product/detail/66402a7ff7114e8a9ac0bd827d103525?jcm...

Can you show me a link or picture of what type of rake you use? 

I also have this rake, with rotating pins, which doesn't bother Jack at all. He has long, straight, silky hair:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evolution-W6110-Grooming-Undercoat-Rake-...

Thank You

Thanks everyone! I'll give these brushes and rakes a try!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service