DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy clippers to do minor grooming on Murphy (huge guy, 99 lbs). I am an absolute beginner. (my sons think this is a terrible idea. lol)

He has a very thick coat that I like to keep at about 1 inch. He does not mat easily. He takes forever to dry.

What clippers/attachments do I need?  Thanks for your help.

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Linda, We are currently deep into a conversation about the very same thing. Last week there was an inquiry about clippers. Now we are discussing mats, blades and comb attachments. Murphy looks very much like Gracie Doodle. His coat looks similar to hers which is a wavy fleece and not really dense or thick. Go check out the discussions we are having right now and then go to the Grooming Group and look around. The current discussion is regarding a Doodle with, I think, a much denser coat. If you still need answers come on back and post your further questions. I use the Oster A5 2-speed clippers, #10,#15 and #40 blades (pretty much stick to the #10) and the plastic comb attachments which determine the length of the cut. Someone just posted to get the metal comb attachments if you are going to groom a lot. I am looking into that right now. The other clippers that are very popular are the Andis clippers. Within either company there are many models so I can't help you there. There is also an awesome video on YouTube on how to groom a Doodle. Go check that out. The link is also somewhere in the Grooming Group archives. There are a few things you need to know before taking the clippers to the Doodle. Perfectly clean, dry, totally dematted and detangled, clip in the direction of the hair growth. If you go against it takes it much shorter. Keep a steady angle on the clippers so they don't "dip" into the hair and take a chunk. I always use scissors only on Gracie's head and face. Only under the ears where she is very curly and the neck do I use the clippers. I also use a longer attachment on the legs because you want them longer. There are tons of other little things to learn but most of it is trial and error and what you like and don't like in the looks. Hope this helps.
Me again Linda...I just got a link in the other discussion for purchasing metal combs which is suggested. Here is the page and the discussion. This also might help you out.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/doodlegrooming/forum/topics/best-...
Nancie, thanks. Murphy's hair is really thick, but I have often thought he looked like Gracie Doodle. I have scissor trimmed his head on occasion.
When you say "the direction of the hair" that would be down his leg, right. What about his back? from centerline down?
his hair seems to grow straight up lol.
I wish Gracie had thick hair but then again maybe not when it comes to grooming. She is so easy to groom and sooo good letting me do it. Though she did have over a year of going to a professional and learned how to behave which is a huge help. I start at the shoulder area and take the clippers down the back toward the tail. Eventually, as you get to the sides it is sort of trial and error on which way to go. I start out the same way as I did on the back. Think of her body as a round barrel. I go from arm pits to groin and so on. But eventually I end up going back and doing a down motion towards the tummy if I don't like the initial results. You also have to be very careful in the back leg area where the skin is sort of webbed. You do NOT ever want to take the clippers there because you could catch the fold of skin and cut them. Take your other hand and stretch out the skin area so it is flat. Also in the armpit area and under the neck where they sort of get hanging folds of skin. I really take my time in these areas. After your initial clipping you will see areas that you want to go back to and then you can decide which way you want to take the clippers. Just always remember that going against the growth will always make the cut shorter than the comb attachment says. Hey, if Murphy's hair grows straight up that is even better. You can clip it very easily. Gracie's lays down a is so soft so I have to constantly brush it up and then take the clippers through.
His hair is like Gracie Doodle's around the neck and ears. A lot curlier and thicker. I just took a really good look at the hair on his back. Near the shoulders it does tend to lay down and back. The middle of the back it looks like it grows straight up. It about 2 inches long right now and it seems to grow really fast, a lot faster than it used to.
Thanks for all the info.
We got this one for Buddy! I also ordered the attachments because I wanted different lengths (winter/summer), I love it! It has 2 settings, and it works great!!! Well worth the investment. Compared to Petsmart, it paid for itself in 3 uses!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LRHWFI/ref=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T0HHB0/ref=oss_product
Here is what I have been using for the past year and a half. Oster A5 2-speed clippers, universal plastic comb attachments, Oster A-5 Blades #40, #15 and #10. I have been reading and reading all the discussions on DK and have also kept updated in the "Grooming Group" where there are professional groomers who are giving advice. The consensus has always been Andis clippers or Oster clippers. My Oster A5 clippers are heavy, hard to hold, noisy and they get really hot. Since I use the plastic comb attachments I am able to continue with my grooming because the metal blade never touches the Doodle but it gets hot in my hand. I have small hands and they are becoming arthritic so I felt there was time for a change. I finally did a deeper comparison of the clippers on-line. Along with quite a few DKers saying to go with the metal universal comb attachments rather than the plastic, I decided to order a set. They say they glide through the hair easier. I ended up buying the Andis 22405 UltraEdge AGC 2-Speed Detachable Blade Animal Clipper, Blue through Amazon for $136.28. They arrived on Monday and I tried them out. Quiet, cool, ergonomically comfortable on my hands and very smooth to use. I love them!!! They are so much better than the Oster A5. I also got the Wahl Stainless Steel Attachment Guide Combs (www.cherrybrook.com) for $36.99. What is really great is that the Oster A5 blades are innerchangable with the Andis AGC2 clippers. So I didn't have to order all new blades. You can use the Oster or the Andis blades on either clipper. I also ordered a new set of 3 shears which are fantastic...really sharp though. Got these through www.petedge.com and they were backordered. Geib Gator Shear Pet Grooming Kit 3 Piece $169.99. You get a pair of straight, curved and blending shears. The only thing left for me to get is a new pair of little blunt end scissors to replace my old ones. I am 100% happier with all my new grooming equipment!!!! Basically I got all new grooming equipment...Merry Christmas Gracie Doodle!!!

You don't need to look any further!!!! There are quite a few different models within each manufacturer but the Andis AGC2 are perfect!!!
Thank you so much! This is the info I need and I really appreciate it. I hate to spend that much money and not be sure what to buy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service