DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, everyone!  I'm looking for some suggestions to help with clipping Rowdy's nails.  He goes to the groomer about every 8-10 weeks, but we keep up with regular brushing and nail clipping.  Does anyone have any suggestions for elimating the sharp edges after clipping the nails?  One potential issue though is that Rowdy is pretty sensitive to things that make noise.  We took him into Petsmart to have his nails cut before we started doing it ourselves, and they couldn't use the grinder because he was scared.  How do you smooth the edges after clipping your dog's nails?

~ Lindsey and Rowdy

Views: 154

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try using the nail file. Rowdy has allergies and scratches alot. I always feel bad after clipping his nails because I know those sharp edges are causing more damage when he's having a flareup.
I never clip Gracie's nails...only Dremel them. You can buy a Pet Dremel at Petsmart for around $49. I use it all the time on Gracie. It has a rechargeable battery. If your Doodle is frightened of noises, then get him use to the noise by just running it near him for a while. It comes with two speeds and don't waste your time on the slow speed. If Rowdy is a big boy then you definitely want to use the higher speed. Gracie is big and has huge thick nails that splinter. You sort of have to work with getting the right angle because sometimes the tool bounces off the nail and they are not fond of that. Also, if you have shaggy paws, be sure to hold back the hair so it doesn't get tangled. Also, don't bear down and stay on the nail too long because it can get hot. The instructions pretty much tell you all of this. Gracie hates it but it is a fact of life for her. She hates the cutting more and has had a quick cut which made her cry and bleed. They NEVER forget!!!!! Don't waste your money on those Peticure thingies...same idea as the Dremel but not strong enough.
I have that one, but I actually bought the same one Petsmart has from Amazon for about $15 less. Anyway, Buddy isn't that fond of it, so I am thankful that he is small enough (30 lbs) I can hold him pretty good between my legs when I grind him. The trainer told me to use it once a week to help keep the quick pushed back and we should not have any trouble. I did let it go for over a month and ended up taking Buddy to Petsmart and had them do it as short as they could then all I had to do was keep up on it once a week. I like it much better than clippers. With the dremel you can guage a little better if you are getting close to the quick. Buddy squirms a little more when I think it is getting uncomfortably close. With clipping you can't really tell.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that it would be a long process to get Rowdy used to the noise. He's always been easily scared. House training him was a nightmare because there was construction going on in our community. He tried to run back inside anytime he heard any noises.
Hi Lindsey, I like to clip Elle's nails right before we go for a walk. Our regular walking route is all sidewalks and that seems to file them without me having to actually file them. ;-)
We use the Pedi Paws. I bought the Pet Dremel at Petsmart, but because it doesn't have a guard on it I keep getting their hair caught in it. It is also noisier than the pedipaws.
Does the Pedi Paw's work well? I have heard mixed reviews and I would like to try one.......
I wouldn't waste my money.  Better off with the Pet Dremel.  My daughter started out with the Pedipaw and now has the Dremel which I also have!
I don't remember where I got my metal dog nail file but it has worked fine for many years. Pet Edge has pet nail files available, similar to emery boards people use. Maybe something like this would help since he is not comfortable with the grinders.
After I cut my guys' nails. I use a Black Diamond emory board. It's flexible, has no pointy ends and does a great job smoothing out any rough edges. I've had the same one for almost 3 years.
My trainer suggested a regular nail file, the sooner you start the better.
Don't know if you already found a nail file, but this weekend I found a metal one at a pet supply store, it is just like the old
one I purchased years ago. It is made by Four Paws and cost about 4 or 5 dollars.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service