DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

For several days I've researched articles and videos of cording a dogs coat.  There are some positive and negative conditions to doing this to a dogs coat.  I do not see anyone on here that cords the coat of an F1b.  Also known as Dreadlocks.

Positive--no more brushing. Ease in daily grooming for the dog.   A way to deal with unruly, unbrushable doodle coats.  I don't mind the time it takes to do this.  I take that much time grooming him anyway.

Negative--there is the same amount of time that goes into grooming however progress is very SLOW.  Months to Years.  The coats have a different way to be kept clean, wash, and DRY--oh my how long it takes to dry.  12 hours or more. If not, the coats smell and can mold.
It takes at least 6 months to One year to make a coat like this--most of the time it takes much longer to have a nice look.  The first  year the look is messy.

We can add a lot to the above P/N

Some owners thought it was masochist to try and brush out a coat that has a network of fibers at the base of the coat--which is what I find in Spud.  A THICK DENSE GAUZE-LIKE BASE.  Spud is miserable with the whole process. 

Spud HATES grooming.  It doesn't even work with his coat after a certain length. He hates hair/coat products that prevent matting.  The smells make him run and growl.  He will allow me to clean his ears now, but do not attempt to place a smelly conditioner on his curls.  In cording you use NO products, no scented or oily conditioners.  On article said, Dawn Soap was the best.   The other alternative is to keep him clipped.    We've done that... we are moving on for now. 

I've never liked the frizzy poodle look--he hates grooming and gets the frizzy poodle look. 

The pictures and videos are common in Europe and many there do cording for the wooley poodle coat, breeds of water dogs, Pulis and Komodors.  

Here are some videos on how to cord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMkydW5Qrs&feature=related

Komodor Puppies--these look like Doodles to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ig7VBYnCrg&feature=related

This is my favorite--look how beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebp7sTLd-XY

I'll let you know what happens.  He is not long enough yet.  My guess is that we are a month away. 

LET THE MATS BEGIN.   YES, I'm going to MAT MY DOG!

P.S.  Thanks to Nancy, Ned and Clancy, Nina, Phil and Harlow, and Shelly and Tori,  for their help and encouragement on my new project

Views: 2784

Replies to This Discussion

Spud is looking good.  Harlow is very wooly as well.  I might try the cording thing on her.  We can start a new doodle coat style.

Nina,

Join my RASTA Club ~  The Spud Locks.

It is a wonderful and simple process.  I can't emphasize how wonderful this method is for those of us who are frustrated. Dogs included.  The Les Pooche will be used now to Clean My Grill!  Just joking.  Starlit still has a fleecy coat and can't be Spud Locked.

How frightened I was at first to try this... ALONE.

It is easy to get the hang of.     Heck you planted the idea in my head and that was not long ago.  

Okay, I want to join the Rasta Club!   What do you need to do to become a member? 

Update:  Last year.  This year.  Before and After Cording.

There are no new pictures but things are still progressing nicely.  A big difference from even last week. 

What do you think of the comparison from exactly one year ago?

It is looking really great!  Spud looks wonderful in the current pics.
Hey Spud!!! Something to hang in your crate for inspiration!
I'm very interested in cording my dog also and he apparently has the right kind of coat.  The photos of Spud look so much better than the show dogs and corded poodles.  That is just too much for me, but Spud looks fantastic.  That is how I would like my dog to look.  True that you should not use conditioner if you want to cord them?  And how do you start?  My dog just kind of naturally cords.  I can brush him out and he shakes and a half hour later his hair is in little cords, all the way down to the skin.  Suggestions?

Hi Lynda,

I highly recommend the method.  In all honesty, we don't have Puli's or Komodors so our dogs won't look like this anyway.  At least that is what I am finding out.

I would be glad to give you start up directions:

• Stop brushing.  No more brush, comb, -nothing. 
  • You may bathe the dog as much as you want. As a matter of fact, washing the dogs in dish detergent such as Dawn removes oils and promotes matting.   I did not do this so much just because Spud has some ear issues and I needed  to concentrate on keeping that dry.   Spud is a thick mat so I needed no help. 
  • 2-3 inches is a good start to cording.   Let the fur felt.   By felting you will see long separations in length in the coat.   The coat will look as if it is seemed together.  Your dog will look terrible.  Don't be tempted to start grooming.  Just let it go. 
  • Splitting.  I've seen both finger splitting and scissor splitting and I've done both.  On his kemp and head I can split just by fingers.  His tail, legs, and chest I use a scissors.  Lately I use the scissors which makes a nicer and more consistent pencil width size and it is easy on the dog.  If you're not careful the finger splitting can hurt the dog.  Not worth it --of course.  

I've placed a few videos in the discussion and have recently looked through more.  These two show the difference between scissor cutting and finger splitting. 

Finger splitting method

Finger Splitting shorter video

Scissor cutting --darn I can't find this one and it is my favorite.

Good Luck.  Let me know.

The dogs that i have seen corded are a special breed called the Pulli.  I do not think that doodle are meant to be corded.

Renee,

Thanks for your comment, however you may want to add, Komodors, Spanish Water Dogs, Poodles, Bergamasco, and Havanese to your Puli list.  There are many others who can be successfully corded.  

You Have Not Met My Dog   :)     His name is Spud Dog Billionhair and he is not meant to be brushed.   Being 3/4 Poodle he falls fine into the category. 

I don't think my doodle's coat will get this long.  I certainly  hope not.  I plan on cutting these off each year.  But I work hard to maintain his  health and cleanliness with this process.

I do this because he has an abnormal amount of hair which for two years he was tortured or shaved to maintain.   He is extremely happy, I am extremely happy,  but yes, I agree, it is  not really the norm at all.  Just me and my doodle and an agreement he and I have happily made.   It works for us.   I'm not into a look so much as I am for the happiness of this poor guy who has a lot of hair and is miserable with the grooming process, the products, and ......... it wasn't working.  But honestly, it does for most.  Just not us.

I'm a sucker. I just want my dog to be happy and I don't care what he looks like.  But really, he looks good!  I'm surprised. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service