DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

On one hand I think it should, short hair doesn't tangle, but if the matting is caused by the new adult coat mingling with the old puppy coat then maybe it doesn't matter.  Any thoughts?

Views: 210

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I think it does. One, it's easier to brush/comb and get down to the skin without too much effort. Second, hair is most likely to fall off on it's own and stay stuck to something else rather than other hair. That's my unscientific explanation.

I can only speak for my doodle, but having shorter hair is the only thing that saved us through the coat changes.  She's curly fleecy, not sure if that makes a difference.  I tried to keep her longer and fluffy but matts would appear literally overnight.  

It helps in the sense that there is less hair (lengthwise) in which the puppy coat can become entangled.  Tara has a wavy fleece coat and was constantly  tangled during her coat change which required brushing more than once a day. I finally got her cut just to save my sanity! It made a huge difference!

Thanks Ricki! I am so happy to read this. Chewy my chocolate doodle went through his coat change later than most. I LOVED his long curls, but the new coat coming in underneath was wreaking havoc, & started to matt with the old hair, almost to the point that it resembled a felt like texture. I bought the brush suggested here, but just couldn't make enough difference, nor keep up. We had to have him cut pretty short yesterday & I really miss his wavy locks. About how long would you say it took for Tara to regrow?

Thanks again

Lori & Chewy:)

Lori, it seems like Tara's hair grows really fast especially now that I'm doing her grooming myself! LOL! It would be an interesting question to post in the grooming group-maybe I'll put it in the comment section and see how fast different doodle's hair grows. I THINK Tara's grows about 1/2 a month but it maybe a little more.  Chewy's wavy locks will be back in no time! :) I think you did the right thing with the cut-for both of you!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service