DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My wooly coated Labradoodle rolled in a muddy  body of water today.  My pup has done this in the past and while he did matt up a bit it was nothing compared to the prolific mass of matts he now has. 
 I'm wondering if my Boyfriend's new approach to grooming may have contributed to these matts?  He used a  blade like dematter to cut out matts in the coat as he brushed him out this week.  The coat looked significantly thinner and I was surprised by how much hair he cut out.  Does anyone know if doing this could  encourage matting? If so, Perhaps a short Summer cut would be an appropriate remedy?   Thanks for any feedback! 

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

Beck is very wooly and the same thing was happening to him, the last time I took him to the groomer, she said that part of the problem was that a previous groomer had used a "coat-king" which is a dematter. She said it splits the cuticle and contributes to matting in a wooly dog, and that it's better to use a les pooches (or similar) brush and just cut through matts with thinning shears. She taught me to use a comb after brushing him to make sure I wasn't overlooking any matts.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service