DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Does anyone have issues with mats around their doodle's nose and chin?  Chutney just starting having them and although I brush/comb her face, it's horrible!  The groomer says that it's because she dips into her water bowl?  She's also a digger and although I wipe her face, the groomer says that this is bad and I should comb and wipe, comb and wipe....I can't do it every time she drinks!  I would hate to have to trim her face down....She doesn't have this issue anywhere else, just her face.

Views: 144

Replies to This Discussion

Is she at the age her coat is changing? Could it be the typical puppy to adult coat matting?
Maybe? She's 8 1/2 months.  I'll keep an eye on it and hope that it's just the coat changing!  Thank you!
Yes, Dudley does. I just keep combing. I got a blade to cut through the ones that get away from me, so that I can gently comb them out. De-tangler helps.
Hi Ann, can you recommend a de-tangler?  That sounds like a good idea.
Neither of my doodles mats in the face.  Ned who mats everywhere else never has matted in the muzzle area.  Clancy who does not mat overall, still needs to have his muzzle combed.  Clancy always has a wet dirty face.  You can keep a bottle with dilute Pantene 2 in 1  shampoo handy for washing the face or you can use vinegar water. When you wash or wipe the face be careful not to tangle the hairs with your washing motion.  It probably is the coat change that is causing problems right now.  Your groomer can keep the doodle look but cut the  beard shorter and that might help.
It was exactly my wiping that caused it!  Our groomer said that I shouldn't wipe Chutney's face with the washcloth the way I was.  She showed me how to wipe with the fur and comb through any knots.  She did say that we would look at cutting the beard a little shorter if it's an ongoing problem.  Thank you!

buy her a shallow water bowl so she cant get her entire face wet/ dont fill her water bowl all the way.  Dont allow her outside unsupervised.  Outside for our dogs is for going potty and that is it, so they are only out there for a few minutes.

If this is what is causing her face mats that will cut down on them

Thanks-a lot of good ideas!  I'm going to try the shallow water bowl too. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service