DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all. I decided I'm going to attempt grooming my standard golden doodle myself. I need to know which tools you recommend and also any tips on how to do it. I've started watching videos. If I'm not super picky and have a guard on the clippers so I can't trim past a certain length on his body can I still mess it up badly? Thanks in advance!
-Erin

Views: 649

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Let me know if you like any specific videos. I attempted it last year and than we had a scissor accident on the ear that turned into a big medical bill. Scared me! I grew up grooming dogs since my dad was a vet and one accident with my own dog and I put the clippers down. We are thinking of adding another doodle to our family and I'm feeling like I should try to try again since the grooming bill will be a lot. I did invest in professional grooming kit so I should use it lol
So, I don't have any experience grooming and watched videos, I read all of the articles I could find and I'm still reading. Lol Anyway, I clipped my standard dodge this weekend with the longest guard I could find for my clippers (#8) & so far everyone says she looks good. I'd upload a picture, but I didn't get a chance to take one :(

My first recommendation is just to take your time.  I am actually taking my sheepadoodle in for her first puppy grooming in January, but we have always groomed our own dogs.  We have had poodles and all kinds of doodles and always groom ourselves.  There is no certain look for a doodle, so you are open to what pleases you.  We have a good clippers and several types of scissors, but I mostly do a scissors clip.  My husband and I are both retired, so we can take all the time we want.  So, I start with a clipper cut on the face and go from the eyes back to under the ears.  I also use the clippers on the underside and shave the belly area midway and down the insides of the back legs.  My husband usually does the toenails and ears at that time and then we usually stop for the day.  The second day is the scissors cut and we leave them rather long with about a two inch cut, unless it is summer and they are going to be swimming.  Then it is a little shorter.  I leave the front legs and the outsides of the back legs a little longer because I like that look.  The bath and blow dry are the finaI things we do after the grooming.  I have a grooming area in my laundry room specifically designed for me and my dogs.  I will post a photo of Harpo after a cut.  Chica has never been cut so she is still in full puppy coat.  Zeppo is very easy to do and I will bathe him today and give him a cut because he is in our bed with us.  Charlie is doing his nails and ears.  So, anyway, take your time and get some photos of cuts that you like on other dogs.  You can go from there.  It is a great bonding activity for you and your goldendoodle.  BTW, I think the goldendoodle  coat is the best.  My F1b goldendoodle never matted, brushed out easily, and had a wonderful coat.  It looks like Chica will be the same.  Both of their fathers were super, phantom poodles and I will post a photo of them also.  They really are the best dogs ever.  (These are not the photos that I intended but they are good enough to get the idea. This is Harpo with a bully stick and Chica's parents.)  Go for it!  Especially if you are getting another dog, it will be well worth the effort.

My only thought is when using clippers be sure to you one of the guards.  When scissoring, I always have the hand Not holding the scissors bring up the hair and only cut the hair to my hand holding the hair.  I am scared to death I might clip an ear, or whatever and I do not want to ever do that.  Good luck.  they say it is a terrific bonding experience, but over time I have resigned myself to just brushing and doing minor clipping and cutting and then take them in every 8 weeks for bath and the "real deal"! LOL

Was thinking of these clippers. What attachments would I need for a 1.5 inch final coat length?
Attachments:

Erin ~ you doodle has a wonderful coat! Does he shed? He looks like an easy care coat!

Yes, it does look like an easy-care coat.  You are going to enjoy working with her.

It is a pretty easy to maintain coat. He still has some puppy fuzz on his back. He will be a yr in march. He is a very light shedder... I find about one fluff ball a week in the corner. Coat maintenance has been easy so far but he is starting to mat in some places. His coat is very thick and the dingle berries are becoming more numerous!
What would the end result be with either of these blades? I guess I want to keep it as long as possible while still using the clippers and not just scissors!
Attachments:

Those blades look like you'd end up quite a bit shorter than you intended, as they're ~0.5 inch and one of your earlier posts said you were looking for 1.5 inch final length.

The clipper you have is different from the one i use, but tend use guard combs only instead of adjusting the blade length.  I use a 1 inch comb for his head pouf and 3/4 inch on his body and it's easy as can be.  I just scissor cut his ears, between eyes, beard, etc. and go a little shorter on the backside and undercarraige. Attached is the finished product.

Attachments:
Yes. I ordered a new set of combs. Thank you

Good for you!  I like doing my own grooming.  I bought an package of combs for my Andis and I tried using the longer combs first then eventually go shorter as I gained confidence.  I've watched different videos on YouTube but remember that all Doodle coats are different and most won't work for you but you get some ideas. Just practice!  I've hit some spots where I've cut too short but luckily it's always been hidden.  A day or 2 later it seems like I missed lots of spots but Picco's curls hide from me and pop out later!  I've noticed after a pro grooming this happens too so it's not just me.  I just do some trimming again to clean it up.

I have a folding table and put a rubber bath mat on it and clamp on a grooming arm I bought through Amazon.  Instead of using the loop around Picco's neck, I put it around his hips. He stands still but likes to sit and this prevents it.

Have fun!  Yes, it'll grow back :-)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service