DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well, after a couple professional groomings that I really disliked,  I bit the bullet and ordered some grooming supplies, besides the brushes and comb. The grooming table came yesterday, and I set it up this morning. It is amazing how much easier it is to groom Addie on the table. I have always been told how good she is during grooming but my experience was always with a wiggle worm who wanted to chew the brush, comb or my hand while being brushed and combed.

I am going to attempt to groom Addie myself in between times of professional grooming. She was so cooperative this morning, that I decided to try to clean up her head. The last groomer gave her a lop-sided pom,that was also sort of flattened on the top, I was able to blend the back of the pom a little into her neck so it is not so distinctive, although with the hair changing abruptly from 3/4" to 4", I wasn't entirely successful. I did manage to round and even out her head. She started getting antsy, so that was it. But I am pleased with myself, and with Addie for her behavior on the table.

Views: 316

Replies to This Discussion

I trim Loo between grooming appts. I had a Shih Tzu that developed arthritis as she grew older. Because it was easier on her, I took up the task of grooming her. Each time I groomed her I learned something new and each time it got easier--on her and with me! I also did not beat myself up when I made a mistake and I developed a better toleration of mistakes a groomer can make. Mistakes do grow out! Good luck and do not expect perfection right away!

Thank you for the encouragement and advice. The reason I am giving up on that particular groomer is not for mistakes but because she did something I explicitly asked her not to do. Now I know if I make mistakes, at least I am trying.

The nice thing about this site is that there are folks that are grooming their doodles and if you are having a problem they will help! Stay the course!!!

Great job that you groomed Addie yourself! It will get better each time.
We had a standard poodle before our GD, Lincoln. My husband always groomed the poodle. We had Lincoln groomed for his first time at Petsmart for a puppy trim with a free coupon. They said he was so good. He isn't that great at getting combed etc at home! so we decided to give it a try. I helped and Lincoln was great! He was such a trooper and stayed pretty good the whole time. He turned out really good for his first full cut. Then we gave him a bath. He was tuckered out! We just used an old folding table so he was not tethered either. We just took turns holding him and gave him a few breaks. We might get him another puppy trim at petsmart it is really reasonable until they are 6 months old. That way he will just get a bath and a face, sanitary trim not a full cut.

I groom Sulley, but scissor cut, have yet to use clippers. I will likely have to use clippers on Molly because she is so much curlier. I have heard that putting them up on a table changes their behaviour because they don't feel in charge.
I'll bet you end up doing full grooms on Addie once you get comfortable. I just remind myself it'll grow back!

The table for me was a very good investment, Addie behaves so much better and I can brush and comb her more easily.

Addie has a very soft and curly coat that right now seems to be on the thin side, and the hair on her legs is a bit straighter. Because her coat doesn't seem thick, I am hesitant to use clippers when the temps are dipping into the teens, or less (Fahrenheit). That was my objection to her last time at the groomer because I asked the groomer to leave her body alone. It had grown to a little under 2" from her last clipper cut, but the groomer clipped her down again to 3/4". For now, I think I'll stay with trying to tidy up her coat with scissors. 

I love the scruffy look so using the scissors works for me. I actually ended up with a really good pair of blending shears for nothing and I use those on him so he doesn't look choppy when I trim him. Eventually I do want to use clippers to do sanitary trims.

I have a table I can use but need to get a grooming arm. Right now to trim him I sit on the floor with him standing up. Usually takes about 4 20 minute sessions and then over the next few days I tweak here and there as I need to.

I also do the grooming myself , I agree that having a table made a huge difference! Cooper is calm and relaxed during his grooming sessions. The fact that I would have to drive at least an hour to get to a groomer made me decide to get the right equipment ,watch videos to learn the basics and read advices on DK!

Attachments:

Cooper is beautiful. I hjope I can become as adept as you with this grooming.

Thanks! I try my best !

Well done to you for taking the plunge and making a start. You can only get better at it as time goes by and before long you will be so happy you are a DIY groomer. Neither of mine have been to the groomers except for getting their nails clipped as this is something I have failed at :) I don't yet have a table but it is something that i am sure will make life much easier. I will need a folding one as I don't have enough room for a permanent grooming area. Post pics and let us see as you go along. I find that if you do it over a few days you will see where you need to do those extra finishing areas that make all the difference.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service