DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

With Spring just around the corner-I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are about keeping My 8 month old Doodle Buxton's coat long or trimming it back for the warmer temps-I have read that the coat acts as an insulator?  I am sure there are several schools of thought on this-  I love the longer coat but I want him to to be comfortable-thoughts??

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

As an insulator, a longer coat can help keep them cool too, they can actually be hotter when they are shaved down.  Having said that we take our multi-gens coat shorter in the summer because he still mats and he swims a lot.  I wouldn't be able to keep on top of the mats if he was longer.  Our F1 sheds so he grows in a winter coat and sheds for the summer - no clipping needed!!
I do short.  Living in coastal South Carolina it gets really hot in the summer.  Our two doodles seem to prefer the short hair in the summer.  I can tell they feel great after grooming and a short cut.  Ours swim, too, so the shorter hair is easy to dry and easy to keep mat free.
I would say it depends on the climate where you live and how much your dog loves to get in water.  I also have an 8-mo-old and we are going to keep it a little shorter in the summer because he loves to get in water.  We live near the coast and the dogs love to go beach combing.  I am thinking about cording the puppy's hair so that may be hard to start during the summer months and I would guess that the salty water may be difficult to deal with, but we will see.  So...really depends on your situation.
How long is long? How short is short.  We live in So. Cal where it is hot and still Ned's coat is not short-short.  Here is his last summer's cut

ok....off topic - but Ned looks so much like my Magic!!

...question...can I grow the hair on the top of his snout - and will it hang down or just go straight up? I know I have to trim between his eyes. They have the same coat - so I was wondering if you ever let it grow out.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service