DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Anyone have any ideas about this? 
I took Porter in for a wash, brush and hygiene clean up yesterday.  This was his second time with a woman who I like and who I thought does a nice job. 
He was in for only 3 hrs (7:30 - 10:30).
His hair was only about 1 inch long and not matted anywhere EXCEPT his tail was one long tube of matts.
I asked her to "do what you can with it, and if he comes out with a funny trimmed tail, I will not complain."
When I picked him up, he acted as he usually does: frantic and ecstatic to see me. 
She tells me she got out the matts, but it was tough and probably hurt him, so try to keep up with brushing it. 

Okay, gonna buy me some edible doggy tail conditioner.  Any recs?

When we get home, he pretty much panted the whole day long, and it was not particularly hot.  It made me nervous, thinking he was under stress or something.  He acted normal though, eating, playing and chewing on a bone.
The only other odd thing was that his butt stank for a few hours.  I guess she expressed his anal glands...onto him?  His butt smells fine today.  He is not panting like crazy today either.
He did kinda flinch away from me today when I went to pet him, and is not keen on anyone touching his back end.
I am asking what this could be because I want to bring him back to her, but not if you all think this was a stress or pain reaction.
Or was it heat? Can a full grooming and fluff out make a dog much hotter? 
Thank you.

Views: 1597

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure about the panting. I like two different groomers for Allie. The daycare that I take her to does an awesome job at keeping the "doodle" look about her. The other Groomer I take her to is at my Vet's office - they do the Anal Glands, and the ear hair. Neither one of them will ever try to take mats out of her tail, both of them have told me it would be traumatic. They will cut them instead. She is already touchy about her tail being brushed when there are no mats. I'm sure all Groomers are different, and maybe know of safe ways to de-mat a tail. Just in my case - the two Groomers I use will not.
oh, geez, my poor baby. It sounds like he was probably freaked by the tail business then. This groomer used a thinning comb/scissor thing--his tail is definitely thinner, but she probably worked it too much :-(
she probably just has a sore tail. She will be back to herself in no time. Allie hurt her tail at daycare about a year ago and moped around for a day or two, then it was back to wagging.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I hate that this injury is my fault, you know? Something I paid for someone to do to him!
I don't know your dog or groomer, but it sounds like your dog was stressed out. Having mats pulled out of his tail hair probably hurt and left his tail feeling tender. Maybe his anal glad was a bit tender too. If he's shying away from having his hind quarters touched, I'd definitely say he's got some discomfort there. Think how odd your scalp feels if you hair gets pushed the wrong way in a barrette or pony tail, I'd say his tail might feel about the same way.

For grooming, you can use Ice on Ice (www.ChrisSystems.com) or go to PetsMart and get some PetHead FurBall detangling spray. Spray it on, generously for really bad mats, gently rub it in, then slowly and gently work with a comb to break the mat down. You can also cut through it vertically or use thinning shears to help - depending on the mat. If you keep after it, brushing or combing 2-3 times a week, you should be able to keep it under control.

Hope this helps.:-)
Thank you for the product tips. Maybe I will bring him with me to PetSmart for the PetHead--that was where he was groomed--so that he builds some decent memories there too. I hate that every time I feel like I have the grooming department under control, there is a surprise. These dogs need to be able to talk. Porter is too submissive, too. I almost wish he would let them know when enough is enough.
I am going to wait a week minimum before I brush him or his tail.
It does sound like Porter was under stress, and hopefully will be doing better and better now. I think it is good for you to take him back to Petsmart just to walk through there and maybe get a new treat or toy. The Chis Christiansen products are really good for detangling. I have the conditioner that I use when bathing Melody, and then the spray on conditioner I use afterward. Melody doesn't like me spraying anything on her, so I spray it in my hands and work it into higher mat areas.
We just got back from PetSmart. Took a full minute to convince him to leave the car. We sniffed bones and treats, visited the kitties, walked into the salon and said hi to the ladies (one of his hind legs started to tremble). Then we paid for our DOGHead, got a treat from the cashier and left.

I guess I need to tell them to be more gentle with him. Or go elsewhere. But then we'll just have a different problem, like hot-razor burned toes, or gooey eyes (which have happened elsewhere).

Thanks for the spray on hands tip.
We went to Petco once - they used a furminator on Allie's Poodle hair, that was our first and last visit there.
"grab and remove the loose undercoat" is the product description--yikes.
What you have just experienced is exactly why I now groom my Gracie Doodle and don't sent her to the groomers unless I absolutely have to. My groomer is really nice and I have sent her tons of Doodle customers. The problem is...she has a big room that echos and she brings her own dogs with her who roam freely. I don't mind that but the Weenie dog yaps the entire time and gets in Gracie's face. The other dog is some huge Egyptian dog and he is laid back but overwhelming. Gracie hates barking dogs and especially when they are in her face! So, then Gracie gets put in a kennel on the bottom row because she is huge. The crate on top of her has little whimp-o dogs in it that are neurotic and dig at the bottom of the cage, bark, bang the bars and carry on the entire day! Even I go crazy after 5 minutes in the place. This is what Gracie is faced with for 4 hours and she, who never barks and whines is totally out of control when I go to get her out of the crate. She can't get out of there fast enough. She spends the rest of the day panting as well. I know they don't give them water because they want the face and beard dry for grooming and also for the presentation when you pick them up. When Gracie gets out of the cage she bee lines for the water bowl that is in the room for the other dogs. I was at a point where I wanted her there for minimum time so I would bath and comb/brush her before I took her. That way she didn't have to sit in the crate drying for hours. I live 5 minutes away so the groomer would call when she was ready for Gracie and then I would take her down. She still had to tolerate the noise and barking and lack of water but for only 2 hours or so. I would pick her up immediately when I got the call. The groomers is the one place where she will do an about face outside and refuse to go in. Fine at the vet but not at the groomers. So, I figured why should I stress her so much and I was just as miserable as she was on grooming day. Now, the tail...yes Gracie is sort of sensitive with the tail and will walk away when I am brushing it. I never knew until I just read this that they were that sensitive. I comb her tail a lot. If you look at a picture of her you will see why. She has a beautiful long plume...a Golden Retriever tail with the same fur! It is the only thing on her that sheds! There are ways to comb the tail without yanking and pulling the hair out. Groomers maybe don't have the patience to use a soft touch...I don't know. She is also very sensitive about having her front legs touched or brushed. She always pulls them away and tucks them under her chin when she is laying down and I am trying to work on her. Gracie has fine, soft wavy fleece hair and it is not really thick. I am sure with continued combing and brushing their skin gets sensitive. Be careful with the Les Pooches brush. It is very sharp. Gracie hates hers and I think it digs into her skin. Probably better for the really wooley coated Doodles.

In answer to your question...yes she was stressed, hot, dehyrated and sore. Not a happy Doodle at all. The one good side to having sent Gracie to the Groomers for her first year or so was that she got "groomer trained". She knows to stand on the table, hold when you tell her to and get scissors near her face, not afraid of the buzzing sounds or the tools. It has made it a lot easier for me. I do give her lots of breaks when we groom just because 2 hours is too demanding for both of us. I just groomed Gracie yesterday!!!!
Eek, poor Gracie. That does sound hectic and stressful. I was so happy about this groomer situation precisely because it is really peaceful at PetSmart, and when I bring him in at 7, he is the only guy there. Plus, I have the option of paying $11 more for expedited service. The groomer we used to go to, who I guess is more gentle and more likely to call you and tell you she is shaving the dog, has the crowded, loud salon. I once came in "early" --it had been six hours-- to find Porter on the table with half his face shaved, panting on the choke-chain, while she ate a burrito 10 inches from his face. It was hilarious and sad at the same time.
I just don't know what to do. I am so wanting someone else to do this for me.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service