DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Our 4 1/2 month old F1b Goldendoodle Ralphie has been leaving little puppy tumbleweeds all over the house for about three weeks now. When we got him, his coat was thick and fleecy, and almost reminded me of a shearling rug. Now, he seems to be losing that downy hair, and there is a stripe of apricot-colored coarse hair growing in along his back (most noticeable by his tail). The long downy hairs that are still left are kind of sparse, and although the short hairs are growing in, he has the appearance of a balding man. This, coupled with his new teenager body and huge feet makes him look so funny and awkward! :)

I am wondering if he is just starting to go through a coat change, requiring that he blow his puppy coat, or if I have exacerbated the problem by using the Oster Shedzilla (a curved-blade furminator knockoff).
Could I have damaged his coat? I have stopped using the Shedzilla, and notice that he is still shedding as much as before, so I am led to believe that this is something natural.

How long will this continue like this before he gets his grown-up coat? Will he shed all of his life? What will his coat look like when he is grown?

Sorry for all of the questions. I have always had Scotties, so I am in uncharted waters here!

Views: 7909

Replies to This Discussion

Gavin is now nearly 16 months and I think he is pretty much through his coat change. He sheds very little now and after a couple of months of some matting, he has not matted for the last month or so. I thing after one more hair cut we will be left with the full adult coat.
Yea for you. Ned is done with the coat change and his matting is much less but NOT gone :(
He is really pretty. I can't wait to see how Teddy's coat will wind up.
Toni, it really varies with the dog. Some have a fast and easy coat change and others go forever... Ned was two before he appeared done. He does still mat but not the way he did. His 'stripe' is reddish.
Thanks for the information. I guess it's a wait and see. When I brush him he does not seem to shed as much.
But that stripe on the back, a lot of doodles must have this.
It does seem to be very common.
Henderson is now 4 months.  Hes a beautiful light apricot and white. Like you mentioned by his tail and and starting down the middle of his back its getting corse  and a buff color, it kind of looks kinky at the root, but also kind of thick and wirery. So you think he is losing his puppy coat. I've never used the furminator. Does anybody have any idea what its going to be like when its all said and done? He is shedding and an F1b

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service