DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have had LesPoochs/Activet brushes for years and years and swear that they really do the job most efficiently.  I also use a steel comb and another one called the Untangler. 

However.....

As time goes by we get the boys groomed more often and home brush less often.  Ned has always hated being brushed, but Charlie and Clancy have become unhappy with brush time also.  I feel the LesPoochs brushes probably scratch their skin rather than massage it.

Clancy

has very little matting, as is common for a shedding dog. He used to love being brushed but now he 'endures it.'  However I still need to get all the way to the skin and both brush and comb him. Even though he sheds, his coat grows quickly. and he gets groomed as often as the other two.

Ned

has a poodle-like coat that is thick and mats easily. He appears to shed into his coat because in brushing him, I do get a couple handfuls of hair. He feels cottony. I use Cowboy Magic on the mats and spray him with Horse Mane 'N Tail to help his coat release mats. Because brushing Ned is such a trial, nowadays we let him go a couple of weeks between brushings - therefore we seldom get him totally mat-free any more.

Charlie

has such a thick, straight coat that you pretty much can't find his skin. It's like a huge very soft blanket. He doesn't shed and I get very little hair when I brush him.  His coat 'clumps' together but most 'clumps' can be brushed out before they develop into real mats that needs de-matting products or slicing/cutting. I have a Pin brush and Charlie seems to like it but it isn't that effective in getting through his coat.                                         

I would really like to try another type brush, but want a quality one. The pin brush  I have is made by All Systems and cost about $20,  but I am always tucking the rubber back into the wood and pulling the pins back up. It hasn't totally broken but obviously isn't right for any of the coats I try it on. It doesn't get all the way to the skin.

What brushes do you use?

What pin brushes do you use and how long have you had them?  Are the pins long or short?

What about the wooden brushes?  Do the pins break on dogs that have really thick coats?

Views: 960

Replies to This Discussion

Well it works and is a great idea!!! :-) 

I have small buckets - a la Target dollar area.  I have brushes and combs and a pair of nail scissors in several places in the house in these buckets.  If I want the Horse Mane 'n Tail or the Cowboy Magic, I have to fetch it.

I love the picture of your dog lying there looking at the brushes!  If Myla saw even one of those, she would hightail it to the end of the yard!

The dog in the photo is not a doodle. She is a lot calmer than the doodle.

Chloe has thick, curly poodle type fur and she mats easily.  I brush her myself 2 - 3 times per week.  When her fur is long (in the winter months) I will spend 3 hours per grooming session brushing her out.  I use a metal comb that has the wider spaced teeth on one side and the narrow spaced teeth on the other (I don't remember what brand it is) and I use a slicker brush from Con-air.   I used to use the pin style brush as well, but I had the same issue of having to pull the pins back up all the time. I found that that specific brush did not do a good job and was much harder work. 

Thanks, Melissa.

Sorry, Im no help, I got a little scared when reading this, and thanked my lucky stars for our groomer....

But, I think Hanna's coat is most similar to Charlie's in that she doesn't shed or matt and its very soft.  It will curl if towel-dried, or it eventually gets wavy if blow-dried.  The only thing I have used on her on her is a steel comb, similar to the ones in your last picture, but shorter pins.  ( we keep her  pretty short, year 'round  < 2 in)  If she ever sheds, it is her ears somewhat and her tail, but not the rest of her.

What do you find works best for Charlie's hair? 

thanks !

Charlie is my newest guy.  We have only had him since June.  We go to a groomer every month or so, but I find that he looks messy quickly and I would like him to be shorter - just have to convince my groomer of that.  I haven't figured out what works best with him. I find that Charlie does some matting in his mustache and beard - my others don't mat there, so I need something for that, and something he doesn't fight me on.  Of course, the LesPoochs works but I hoped to find something he would tolerate better.

Does anyone have this rake? Ive seen this rake used in a lot of really good Youtube videos, but I cant find it anywhere in the US.

http://chrischristensenaustralia.com.au/shop/16mm-t-rake-bathing-br...

I looks like a Chris Christensen.  The thing about a rake is the purpose is to pull out the undercoat. IF your dog doesn't have an undercoat - many doodles do not, you are pulling out attached hair/fur.  So......

Okay silly question. How can you tell if he has an undercoat? I feel like my Yeti does. But he is my first dog and first doodle so I could be totally wrong.

While there is no such thing as a 100% hypoallergenic dog, Goldendoodles are non-shedding that produce less dander than shedding breeds. Non-shedding breeds need regular grooming, as their undercoat does not shed on its own.   My doodle doesn't shed, she has more of a curly coat and I have to remove the undercoat with brushing a few times a week 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service