DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have had LesPoochs/Activet brushes for years and years and swear that they really do the job most efficiently.  I also use a steel comb and another one called the Untangler. 

However.....

As time goes by we get the boys groomed more often and home brush less often.  Ned has always hated being brushed, but Charlie and Clancy have become unhappy with brush time also.  I feel the LesPoochs brushes probably scratch their skin rather than massage it.

Clancy

has very little matting, as is common for a shedding dog. He used to love being brushed but now he 'endures it.'  However I still need to get all the way to the skin and both brush and comb him. Even though he sheds, his coat grows quickly. and he gets groomed as often as the other two.

Ned

has a poodle-like coat that is thick and mats easily. He appears to shed into his coat because in brushing him, I do get a couple handfuls of hair. He feels cottony. I use Cowboy Magic on the mats and spray him with Horse Mane 'N Tail to help his coat release mats. Because brushing Ned is such a trial, nowadays we let him go a couple of weeks between brushings - therefore we seldom get him totally mat-free any more.

Charlie

has such a thick, straight coat that you pretty much can't find his skin. It's like a huge very soft blanket. He doesn't shed and I get very little hair when I brush him.  His coat 'clumps' together but most 'clumps' can be brushed out before they develop into real mats that needs de-matting products or slicing/cutting. I have a Pin brush and Charlie seems to like it but it isn't that effective in getting through his coat.                                         

I would really like to try another type brush, but want a quality one. The pin brush  I have is made by All Systems and cost about $20,  but I am always tucking the rubber back into the wood and pulling the pins back up. It hasn't totally broken but obviously isn't right for any of the coats I try it on. It doesn't get all the way to the skin.

What brushes do you use?

What pin brushes do you use and how long have you had them?  Are the pins long or short?

What about the wooden brushes?  Do the pins break on dogs that have really thick coats?

Views: 960

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Melissa. He had a different coat as a puppy like my profile photo but now looks very different. We keep his hair pretty short. I prefer double coated shedders because this dog rolls in the mud and it does not just all fall off after it dries. It dyes him grey permanently even after the bath. I've had to use whitening shampoo. He is like a big Maltese. Lol

I have a rake but not from CC.  I have one for my other dog with an undercoat but I use it on my doodle's smaller mats and it works quite well even better than the dematter. rake from amazon  My doodle doesn't shed at all and enjoys rolling in mud. When there is mud, there are mats so this rake comes in handy. 

I ended up ordering the CC oval 27mm pin brush and received it today.  I can't wait to try it on all three boys.  If this is as nice as I hope, I will order the T-brush next and maybe the pocket one also.  I chose the oval because it is narrower than the T brushes.  I really prefer smaller brushes. I am more coordinated with smaller widths.

I think this is actually a really great idea. The oval ones does allow more control.  I think the most helpful part is probably the long pins. 

Please please report back! I would love to hear how it works for you! Currently looking for a good brush for Yeti!

Thanks everyone for helping me decide which brush to try.

C&L - wow, that must be frustrating!!  I guess there are downfalls to both types of coats!!

Charlie really tolerates the new brush well.  He sprawled across my lap while I brushed his head and ears.  Whoopee!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service