DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Cedar turned one a couple of weeks ago & she got her first taste of snow today on the hike(I live in the sticks in the Pacific NW) .. so did I.  I had about 4 inches at my house.  I can't believe how her coat collects snow.  There were snowballs bigger than a golf ball in place & they aren't easy to remove as they are packed on the hair.  It took some time to "finger" them off.  I used warm water also, but we're talking 15 minutes or more to get it all(make that most) off.  I've put hair trimming on my agenda for the day.  I was wondering if those of you who have fought this battle have come up with any tricks.  Maybe boots are the answer, but I tried those with my last dog(golden retriever/lab mix) and they came off & they won't help with this current snowfall.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Mike & Cedar(aka -- the snow magnet)

Views: 458

Replies to This Discussion

I have a muttluks snow suit for sale! Here is the info Muttluks Reversible Dog Snowsuit - Red / Navy

I have this in a size 22 that is brand new. Red on one side, blue on the other

Size 22

• Chest: 30"
  • Length: 23"
  • Neck: 19"
  • Front Pant Length: 22" Back Pant Length: 21"

Make me a reasonable offer! 

Thanks for posting this - I would love to make an offer, but fear it might be too soon to 'invest' as Brady is likely still growing.   He is 8 1/2 months now.   I think I should prob. wait until he's over l year.   Do you also have the 'booties' for sale?

Hi... I just wanted to share that I also have had issues with snow caught in the paws... I use a little bit of vasoline and then the snow does not stick...Easy and Cheap....

Okay .. after a bit of a hike in deep snow(should have had snowshoes).  I brought Cedar in and she was loaded with snowballs on her undercarriage .. big ones.  I removed snow for about 15 minutes, but wasn't really all that successful ans the globs were frozen pretty good to the hair.  Sooooo .. I thought I would try the wrap her up & let the body heat take care of it.  I put her in her crate with an old fleece bathrobe and a couple of towels.  I checked on her an hour later and she was shaking badly.  I guess being wrapped up with a bunch of ice is NOT the best.  I'm attaching a picture I took on the hike that shows the snow just beginning to accumulate on the right front leg.  Thank goodness I don't have to go through this that often where I live.  BTW ..Snow removal on Ranger(lab/chow mix) was a piece of cake as it was on my Maggie(lab/golden retriever).  It's just the doodle hair that packs it on.

Those snowballs do take some of the fun out of playing in the snow. Next time shower them off with warm water, she'll be wet but warm. A hand held shower works best. We use a rain suit and boots in fresh snow like this, after the snow has been down a few days it doesn't seem to stick as much.

And this is what it can evolve to:

I think this was one of those times when a warm shower was called for afterwards. Luca was in danger of losing vital parts to frostbite : ) Needless to say the doodles coats are also much shorter nowadays.

Yup .. I see the ice balls in that second picture.

I agree. I had had to do that for Sadie as well...she does cry when it's bad. Shower or tub takes care of it quickly.

About 15 minutes before Sonny comes in from playing in the snow, I put a few large towels in the dryer. When he comes in he stands on one of the warm towels while I wrap the others around his body. The heat helps to start to melt some of those large snowballs stuck to him. We have resulted to blowdrying some of those snowballs with warm air to get them to melt down. Good luck. I keep saying I am going to buy a snow suit. I really need to but just think of all the work it will take to get it on him and then... maybe this year. lol

I trimmed Cedar's legs quite a bit.  I only have to put up with this for a few more days & then(I think) the melt is on.  The floors here at home are definitely nice an wet.

Ok. We just had 6 inches yesterday and i was excited to try out the muttluks....nope. Forget it....the first boot was off in 5 seconds & while I scrambled to grab it out of the snow she danced about & lost a 2nd...
I think I'll try the mushers next.tx

Same problem I had with boots on my last dog.  Maybe duct tape :o) .. kidding of course.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service