DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It looks like have yet again lost the genetic doodle lottery in terms of seasonal shedding (Luna shed seasonally as well).  The last few weeks as it's been getting warmer there's been an increase in hair "tumbleweeds" around the house and I've noticed more mats in Riley's hair during her daily brushing.

I spent a good part of my day today attacking Riley's coat with a de-shedding rake and got about a soccer ball sized amount of undercoat.  She feels a lot less "bulky" now but I'm definitely not done yet!  

I initially started using a combination of the pin brush and metal comb:

Image result for chris christensen big pin brushImage result for metal dog comb

It worked okay but the comb felt quite inefficient and the pin brush wasn't getting a ton of hair out.

I switched to this style of undercoat rake:

Image result for jw pet de shedding rake

That seemed to work a lot better but I'm not sure it's the right tool... though it does sound like that's what it's supposed to be for.

Any tips?  We have a furminator too though I think it's the kind that's supposed to be for short coated dogs and would damage Riley's hair.

I may just be in need of some technique tips since with Luna I would just brush her hair in short strokes with the grain and that's all that was needed.

Riley's hair is quite long though and the short strokes don't work too well.

Views: 453

Replies to This Discussion

I keep finding myself buying more and more grooming tools but then I remind myself that it would cost $100+ EACH time to have her groomed by someone else.  Eventually I will stop buying tools and I will be reaping the benefits of my "investment" for many years to come.

So cute!! You did a great job!

There is a groomer on You Tube, her channel is called Go Groomer. She has 3 or 4 videos featuring doodles. She does beginning to end grooms but the best part is if you click the down arrow below the video (right) she lists absolutely ever product, brush, smock, table etc with links on where to buy. I really want to try the coat handler products and the detangler that she uses. The coat handler is on Amazon but from a 3rd party seller and the shipping prices were as much as the product! I love her brushing and bathing techniques too... did Beau her way last time and it worked so well!

Thanks I'll have to take a look!  I looked at a few videos before diving in but not that channel.  

I already bought one of those undercoat rake things (a knockoff version) - haven't tried it yet it came in today.  It has really great reviews though.  I got a double-sided one side with many teeth (thinning)+ one with fewer teeth for de-matting.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B1SZGWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_ti...

I *think* I'm done buying tools for now, DH is already grumbling that me being on mat leave is bad because I do too much online shopping LOL.  I just got 2 separate orders, both with dog stuff in them (that comb, some detangler, a martingale collar and a Halti).

Whoa..... that's a wicked looking gadget LOL

It looks crazy but I think it's actually gentler than the one I already had (bottom of original post).  Will test it out in a couple weeks when Riley is due for another "de-fluffing" :p

You already know that I think Riley is gorgeous but I am feeling pretty darn grateful Beau doesn't have that heavy undercoat. Slicker, pin brush and a comb is all he takes. ;-)

Lol DH brushed her with the undercoat rake for 20 minutes or so while I trimmed and I kid you not there was a 6" deep pile of fluff all around the grooming table.  He just gave up I'm sure there was more.  There is a good reason she liked hanging out in -20 in the back yard this winter I'm sure she was toasty warm!

Quicker Slicker was the product she uses to remove mats and detangle on the doodle video. It's a spray on. Coat Handler was the shampoo and Conditioner. She combs through the coat in both shampoo and condition process before heavy rinsing. It worked very good on Beau but he has no where near Rileys coat sensitivity or length. 

Just for laughs here is the hair (most of it anyway there was a pile on the grooming table too) from one session of undercoat removal.  That plastic box is about a foot wide/tall.

OMD!!!!!

We could make Jasper a few winter coats out of that .I think lol.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service