DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So I finally worked up the nerve to clipper cut Quincy. It took a lot longer to do than I expected because I had trouble getting through his coat. I should have scissor cut him first. I used the 1 1/4 comb attachment on his body and the 7/8 on his legs. I tried with the #10 blade but had to change to a #40 and after putting the comb attachment back on the clippers a million times when it kept popping off this is the result. This is as short as I want to go. I was afraid to use the clippers because I thought he might be too short, but I really like this length and all I have to do is run the clippers over him every couple of weeks, which now takes no time at all. I think I still need to trim his head a little closer and maybe take his legs a little shorter next time but overall I am happy with the result.

Views: 179

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Barb, the only thing I did right was use the thinning shears between his eyes. I need to go back and layer his ears a bit I think.
Great job, Quincy looks cool.   I love the whole natural shaggy look, not the over done look that a lot of the professional groomers seem to do.  You've really done him perfectly.   I just hope I will be able to do as good when I have mine.  Just a question, what is the difference between the comb attachments and the clipper blades (confused!!??)  I am going to buy a clipper and some attachments soon so just don't want to waste money on the wrong stuff. 

The clipper blade is the metal plate with teeth that  is attached to the clipper and is technically part of the clipper, the attachments are the guards the come in different sizes and fit over the blade to cut to the length you want. If you use the clipper with the blade only it pretty much shaves  all the fur off. This is totally the right group for info on what equipment to buy. What I would really like to see is a video of how to do the face and head. You are way ahead of the game having all the info before you get your puppy, I didn't find DK until Quincy was almost a year old.

What a beautiful dog and a beautiful job you did grooming, Donna!  I'm expecting an ALD in July...don't think I have the talent to groom once his adult coat comes in!!!
Quincy your Mom did a fantastic job....you look perfectly "doodley" and cool too!    Donna, I've yet to try clippers.....how did you manage under his arms and on his belly?

There was a whole lot of contortion going on, on my part not Quincy's. :>)

Quincy looks amazing!  Donna you do the best job, I wish you lived near me and you could do Rooney.  Yesterday I had Rooney trimmed VERY short - shorter than we have ever gone as it is hot here in FL - 90's every single day and I was feeling sorry for him.  But unlike Quincy - Rooney looks "too done".  It makes him look too poodley to me although I have to say that his hair is the softest thing I have ever touched now - lol.  I wish and I'm sure that Rooney wishes that I had your talent.  Quincy looks so good long or short.

A butched Rooney

Jane, I think Rooney looks beautiful!  What a coat!  And I LOVE the white-tipped tail.  I can only imagine how beautiful he must look when his coat is longer but as you say, the summer heat can be so hard on a long coat! 
Rooney looks darling. If you feel he is too poodley maybe you could try spritzing him to bring the shaggy curls back.
He looks great!  I don't think he looks too poodley.  But that super-fluffed look goes away in a few days, especially if you spritz him.
Rooney looks adorable, but then he would look good naked. I find the cut they do at the groomers above the yes almost gives them an angry look. Rooney doesn't look angry just maybe a little ticked. With 90 degree temps Quincy would be begging me to shave him naked. He does not tolerate heat well, probably because we get so little of it.
Rooney can't look any but cute, IMHO, and speaking of...I LOVE his cute little butt!  :-)  He'll unpoof after a few days....Rua sends kisses!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service