DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Help!  I am trying to decide if I want to cut Willa's hair shorter for summer or leave it long.  

Willa is a chocolate, fleece Australian Labradoodle.  I live in South Mississippi where it gets really humid and hot during the summer.  Additionally, as most doodles do, Willa LOVES water.  I know she will get in the water every chance she gets when outside this summer.  

Prior to getting her I was determined that my doodle would keep a long coat.  However, I am worried more about her being uncomfortable than being pretty.  I have heard some discussion that the long hair is actually cooler.  ????  She is SO adorable with her long wavy coat.....but I don't want to be selfish and keep it long it it will be uncomfortable for her.  

Willa's hair turns a lighter "red" on the ends (about an inch or so) and is a dark chocolate underneath. 

Should I cut her hair short for summer or leave her long?  Which is more comfortable for her?

Views: 2340

Replies to This Discussion

Cut her down.
She will love it. I am in LA, and I just shaved my little guy down with his first annual summer trim, this week as temps are meant to reach 90 degrees this weekend. I like my doodle with long hair as well, but he is so happy post shave. I clip him with a half inch guide on the clippers, so really he is a little bit shaggy and his hair protects his skin a bit. He ends up looking like a fluffy lamb, I leave his head a bit shaggier, which is still very cute. His body hair does grow in pretty quickly, and since I don't take him super short I do have to trim him a little more often. 

Plus shorter hair, less tangles, easier to find burrs and foxtails post walks, and also makes for quicker bath times, cause sand in the summer time, is a pain to wash out of longer fur. 

Can you post a picture of him with his new haircut?

Yogi is adorable- Abe pic with new haircut below.

Oh, yes, I certainly do agree about the sand.  And the dogs and their people love the beach.  We go all the time (particularly in summer) and the back of the car and their coats are definitely in line with summer on the beach.

She is beautiful with the long hair! I have lived in Ms and the humidity is high and then add the tempts, I would cut her shorter for the summer and let her grow out in the the fall, winter and spring! Also remember dogs can get sunburn with a short haircut! Be aware of that right after you cut her! I have had long haired dogs when we lived in NC and Va and we I got them their summer cuts, they were much happier! My opinion is cut that hair for the summer!

Yes, the longer fur insulates them against both heat and cold. 

I would cut it for the summer too.Kallie has fur similar to Willa's and I too didnt want to cut it short.But last summer I cut it about a half to one inch and it was more comfortable and cooler for our humid Virginia summer.I have let it grow out since then but will trim it again soon.She loves to swim and at the beach the sand just shook out! Have fun with Will a this summer!

I live in Southern California and keep my doodles the same winter and summer.  They prefer to be mostly inside, but I don't see them behaving any differently whether it is winter or summer.

I live in Hawaii. I keep both of our doodles quite short. They go to the beach a few times each week. When we moved here in July, Kona's coat was medium length and he was panting constantly. When I clipped him short the panting stopped. He has a dark coat. I think their hair is about 1 inch long with longer facial hair. This fall I clipped their ears too instead of leaving them long. We love the look and the feel. It helps tremendously with wet doodles, too. The drying time is remarkably longer when their coats are even 2 inches long.

Each family has their own style for doodle grooming. I never thought I would like the short coats and really never thought I would like the clipped ears, but I do now! Good luck and most of all enjoy your sweet Willa, long or short!

Abe with his first summer cut of the season. I still need to do his head. 

We like to take our time also.  Sometimes it takes several days to get a total cut.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service