DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello....I bought a pair of Andis Ultra Edge AGC Super 2 Speed Clippers today they came with a #10, #40 blade then I purchased the 3 3/4 Ht , & the #5 amd the large comb set. Hopefully this covers everything!!! If those of you could please give me a few tips on what you trim your doodles with and where that would be great.. I would like to leave Molly with a little longer hair I took her to the groomers today for hopefully the last time and she came back almost hairless except for hr head that they didn't even touch. I would like to trim her so she looks like she still has some hair on her body. Any help I would appreciate!!!! Thank you......Molly thanks you too!!!!!!!!!

Views: 126

Replies to This Discussion

What is Molly's coat like?
I use various comb attachments on top of the #10 blade. But CAREFULLY use the #10 blade around the anus (careful to not make a big bald spot) and use scissors farther from the hole.

I clipper body and top of tail and neck...use scissors over the rest. Oh and use clippers to layer the ears so they are not blunt page boy style cut.
Thanks for the advice. Molly is a little curly and has a little bit of a thick wool coat kinda....
If it's VERY thick the combs might not work very well.
Be sure she is freshly washed and dried before starting. A coat with dirt and oil in it is tougher to trim with clippers. Also brush/comb her out really well so you are sure the combs or even the longer blade itself will glide through.
You won't give her bald spots unless you're using a very short blade.
I made the booboo of making a bald spot on one side of Samantha's tush - so now she has a matching one on the other side. Thank goodness her hair grows fast and she can't see herself in the rear view mirror!!!
I haven't groomed Molly yet. I took her to the groomers on Tuesday it's probably a good thing she can't see herself in the mirror either, the lady shaved her down to nothing you can see skin except for her head that she didn't touch. She looks pretty silly right now. I ordered my clippers Tuesday morning from Pet edge along with some combs and different blades so as soon as I get them I will try and fis\x her head a little then in about 3 weeks I may be able to go over her body with hopefully a 1/2 in blade or comb to even her out. Her hair grows pretty fast. This is going to be a whole new learning experience for me luckily she is a very calm dog so she will most likely just sit there hopefully I don't make too many bald spots on her when I try. The good news is now when she gets in their doggie pool she will dry super fast (having No hair ha ha).
I did that too...right above Rosco's tail when I forgot to put on the comb attachment onto the #10 blade...OOPS!
Why did she have to be shaved?
You should use scissors to trim her head and ears, not clippers. I just comb Samantha's head forward, hold the hair in between 2 fingers and trim slowly. you can always go back and trim more.
Ok I will use the scissors on her head and ears I just hope it doesn't look to choppy. I think the groomer was in a hurry and that was quickest for her I have no idea. I was very unhappy. Thanks for your advice..
Aww, don’t worry about the shaving. :) Doodles’ hair grows back so fast, you’ll have your furry puppy back before you know it! :)

A lot of doodles (including mine) get shaved on their first grooming visit. Its hard for a groomer to “leave length” on the coat unless the coat is totally knot-free. (i.e., running a greyhound comb thru the coat, down to the skin.) The blade teeth on a clipper tend to get stuck on the tiniest of knots. I didn’t realize this until I started grooming my own dogs. Now I know why my doodle always came back nekkid! ;)
I use scissors to trim length on the ears and shape them a bit...and then I use clippers to layer them so they aren't a blunt bob.
Sorry to sound stupid but how did you layer them with the clippers? What blade did you use. Her head of all things is going to be my 1st project with her seeings as how the groomer didn't touch a hair on it!!! I am going to try to do it tomorrow night. Thanks for all your help and advice. I will have to take a picture of her before I start. You should do a slide show of bad haircuts from the groomers I bet there would be alot of pictures...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service