DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

This is my first post. I have already learned much from you guys, and it is really appreciated. My doodle Strider is coming up to 6 months. I know I am going to do my own grooming.  My initial research has shown me a few choices.

The Andis AGC 2 speed seems to be a standard. The Wahl Chromado also has a following. The Oster A5 Turbo has many happy users, but many complain about them being very hot for both the user and the dog.

The Oster also gets complaints that the plastic combs don't seem to work very well. The comb issue may be on all clippers.  I know I am going to leave as much length as practicality will allow, so this seems that it will be necessary to use a comb to get 1 1/4".

Can anyone give me some clues on these clippers, or others, and some hints as to whether I am being naive about wanting to keep that extra length on Striders coat?  Thank you.

Views: 240

Replies to This Discussion

Steve, I had the Oster A5 and finally went to the Andis AGC 2 Speed.  Huge difference IMO.  The Oster were big and bulky for my small hand, noisy and hot.  My Andis are much quieter, easier to hold and don't seem to get hot enough to take breaks during the grooming.  I have the plastic combs, metal combs and also plastic that are magnetic.  They all seem to work about the same.  The magnetic ones could pop off if you had to go through thick hair or any mats.  I just switch around and don't seem to feel there is much of a difference.  I always use a comb attachment to protect Gracie's skin.  I don't want to give her razor burn on the tummy nor the sanitary area.  The largest the combs go is 1 1/4" and I think as long as you go with the growth of the hair you will get 1 1/2".  I remember reading that the outcome is a bit longer and the same holds true should you go against the growth, then it is going to be even shorter than 1 1//4".  You might want to confirm that with Barb who heads up this group.  Also, so much depends on the type of hair your Doodle has.  If it is thick and wooley then the combs won't work at all.  They will get hung up and keep popping off.  Good Luck!

I would go with the AGC2 or the Wahl Switchblade..I own both and like them!

I heard somewhere about a vacumme attachment that would suck the hair up in a tube and cut the hair.  I've never seen it.  Does anyone know what I am talking about and does it work for cutting the hair 4 inches or more?

I think the Flowbee and Robovac. You may find some discussions on them. devices you are talking about are not recommended for doodles.

Sorry, this reply got scrambled. These devices are Not recommended for doodles I think and I believe hurt someone's doodle.

I'm getting ready to order the ANDIS AGC2 Clipper w/the #10 blade.  Is there another size blade that won't scalp my doodle?  I'd want his neck and back about 1 1/2" long and will probably hand cut his legs.  I need to know which blade to buy that will give the longest cut!  Thanks for anyone who can help me!

Leanna,

I also ordered the 7 blade and the 4.5 split tooth.  I know nothing about grooming, but the 4.5 inch does a nice job without the scalp.

Spud is thick and even brushed I am not able to use a comb attachment so I have to use straight blade and scissor cutting combo.  

Do a search on here for Blades maybe. 

Leanna,   I have a new blade that I have not yet used but a year or so ago we were all trying to find it and it was unavailable.  It is the Andis Ceramic Edge Size 3/4" HT 19.0mm.  I just recently ordered it but not sure if it was from Pet Edge or one of the other.  I'm sure if you just Google it you will find it.  We had a discussion in the Grooming Group within the last two months about it.  Anyway, it says it leaves the hair 3/4".  This would be perfect since you can't use comb attachments.  I find that all the blades #10 - #40 basically alone would scalp anyone!  I never use just a blade on Gracie Doodle...not even for sanitaries.  I just want to avoid any chance of razor burn.  For her tummy and delicate areas I always use the smallest comb attachment I can, just to get the blade off the skin.  As far as I know this 3/4" HT blade is the only one that will leave the longest measurement of hair.  I don't know of any blade that will leave the hair the length you want (1 1/2").  That is only attainable by either scissor cutting or using a comb attachment.  And the comb attachments only go to 1 1/4" which does leave it about 1 1/2" max.  Otherwise it comes down to scissor cutting!  Good Luck

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service