DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My 2 1/2 year old Doodle has always been a bit of a chewer but recently her chewing has escalated.  She is now taking papers, pens, you name it off of tables, usually when I leave the room and promptly destroys them.  She attends daycare 3 times a week and I thought she was getting plenty of exercise outside of daycare.  If I am not at home she doesn't seem to destroy anything but when I am at home, talking on the phone, watching TV this is when she starts.  This behavior has gotten worst over the past 3 months and I can't think of anything that has changed.  I have bought her toys she can chew on (antlers, Kongs, Nylabones...)  but she seems to prefer clothing, socks, papers, pens...  She gets plenty of attention, I feel like I dote on her more than my other dog but it never seems like it is enough.  I feel this behavior is for attention but nothing has really helped the situation get better.  Any suggestions?  And I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

There was a discussion on this on the training group as well. Unfortunately, I have nothing positive to tell you, just an added vent. Molly, who will be 2 in April, has always been a chewer and paper, socks, pens, sticks, garbage outside that we don't see her pick up...you name it. Outside I'd like to put a gentle lead on her, but my husband is against it. She's a puller, so we've always had her on a halter, which she does really well on. In the house, she goes for everything she can get, including shoes. She still behaves like she's 6 months. We're wondering if she will ever grow out of it. Sorry I have no suggestions. 

At what level of obedience is she?  I mean does she just obey at home or is she very obedient to commands anywhere, anytime, on or off leash?  Quite often getting a dog solidly trained in obedience helps all these little side issues dissipate on their own.  Do you catch her in the act most of the time or rarely?  Are you able to put her in a 'down stay' near you when you talk on the phone or while watching TV?  You say you dote on her a lot...that could be part of the problem.  Lots of doting, lack of complete training and a dog that thrives on getting attention any way she can. Kids tend to be allergic to their parents talking on the phone too and will often act up during that time because they want the attention the phone is getting AND they can get away with things more easily.  You might also keep a leash on her so that if you catch her ABOUT to do wrong you can give a quick pop of the leash and correct her.  In any case she is showing you she can't be trust to be unsupervised even for a  minute so keeping her on leash and telling her WHAT to do when you are on the phone or watching TV may help.

When she does these behaviors, most of the time I am in the room and when I tell her to drop it, I have to repeat my self several times and she runs away with it like she is playing.  Eventually she does drop it and then usually goes for one of her toys to chew on.  I am definitely going to use the leash to secure her when I am doing other things and not paying attention to her.  She has gone through several obedience classes.  She knows sit, down, drop it, still working on the stay, she started taking classes at 6 months of age.  She is a sweet dog but on leash and in the car she becomes like Cujo, growling, lunging at anything that approaches the car or gets close to her on leash. This all started when she was around 1yr, the trainers told me she is a very social dog at daycare and some dogs when on leash get "frustrated" they can't approach the other dog and act out this way.  Have you ever heard of that before?  I would love to continue obedience but now we just have been taking occasional classes for shy dogs and ones that have these kind of issues.  I have a feeling it is me because she is a different dog at daycare when I am not around.  I have no idea how to change this behavior either.  These behaviors are new to me, I have a Shepherd Mix who is super friendly and obedient, has taken therapy dog classes and passed with flying colors.

All of the above issues apply to Hope including perhaps to much doting - Hope is 9mos old, has 5 weeks of obedience training spending all the time @the trainer's facility and, yes, she knows the commands well but for me it is well maybe I will listen & maybe I won't......I am beginning to believe this particular breed is next to impossible?:/ any comments-PLEASE!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service