DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

If we unavoidably & unexpectedly fine ourselves in an extremely noisy crowded place and Willow goes into a full flipped-out-panic as happened yesterday, should I pick her up and carry her out or force/drag her through to the other side?

If there was on other option what would you do.

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, Patti, I can see why all of this happened.  I am putting myself in your position and it is so unnerving to even imagine that with a shy or anxious dog!  I am so glad she came right back to you! My Melody also got out of her collar.  I was so upset by that.  I have a different set up now and when I take her out I also use the Thundershirt.  When you get the anxiety vest you mentioned, that will probably help as well.  I don't think either of the wraps would have been completely effective in that kind of unanticipated circumstance. Training will help a lot. getting her used to distractions, little by little. Hopefully you can go back there again, with the usual calm...
Whether you use treats for training or not, the key will be to use distractions BELOW the level that will take her over the edge.  Gradually increase those distractions, but not until she's pretty successful at lower levels.

I think you've gotten really good advice. I'd like to add that overcoming fear needs to be done in little steps. If she's exposed to too much, too soon, she may become so overwhelmed, it's like being afraid of being afraid. Little doses at a time seem to work best in the long run.

Picking her up and taking her out of that situation was exactly the right thing to do at that moment.

BTW, she is just precious. :-)

Oh Patti, Willow is so lucky to have you as her mama.  You do have alot of friends and allies here with so much experience. 

Molly scared me the other day when she got excited & got away from us.  Unlike Willow she did not come right back when called so now I am freaked out about taking her out of the house.

I think she senses my fears now so it makes it all worse.

Yikes

You've got to get a halter on Molly. Just start off around the house with the halter really loose.
We got her the Canny Collar which she can't pull out of now & what is gteat is that she does not pull on the lead either. Love it

When Gracie was less than a year old we went to a dog event at a large public park.  She was fine until the live band started.  Then she was terrified.  I walked to the opposite end of the park and sat on a curb with her away from the crowds.  I just acted normal and let her calm herself.  Luckily we had the luxury of finding this secluded spot.  I tried to speak normally to her but not really touch her.  We sat quite awhile.  Eventuially we walked back into the crowds and she was ok although I stayed far away from the stage as possible.

Gracie is still leary of sounds sometimes.  Firecrackers send her into true panic, shaking, heart beating wildly, etc.  Just last week a home near our favorite dogpark was replacing a fence.  It scared her although not to the full firecracker level of fear, The nailgun sounded a little like firecrackers.  I did the same thing.  I let her hide under the bench we were sitting on and calm herself.  The next day when we visited she was able to listen to the nailgun, then decide it was not really fearsome as it had been.

So all in all it is just perserverance, keep going, don't let her feel your fear for her and keep  exposing her.  I don't think Gracie will ever be able to ignore firecrackers, but she is adjustiong to other uncomfortable noises.

You have all been so very wonderful in helping me sort this out. Thank you friends.

Hi, Patti... I would like to suggest a wonderful book to you.... " Control Unleashed " http://controlunleashed.net/  - Author's website ----http://controlunleashed.net/book.html -- book itself. Whole book is about reactive dogs and how we can teach them to relax and feel secure in the environment that makes them nervous.... Wonderful author..... I read it over and over, little sections at time before bed.

My Charlie is a nervous and fearful dog. She is hard wired that way...... Just like people, they have different temperment. But, I feel it is very important that I teach her to be more relaxed and feel secure.....We did many many levels of obedience, and it is truly helpful. However, this book is gear toward to the reactive dogs, and not just an obidience book. You may find it to be helpful.

Thank you for posting this, Kyoko.  I have been having such trouble getting out and continuing training due to my own personal health circumstances.  I have just ordered this book in hopes of being able to help me to help my Melody!  Having Morgan certainly helps bring her out.  I am looking for things I can do from my own home.  Perfect timing for this recommendation.  I hope Charlie is doing better....!?  :0)

Thank you for asking.... This author has a Yahoo group, http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CU_Dogs/ as well.

Also the following website is interesting, too....http://www.ttouch.com/         http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/bat/.

I like the BAT - Behavior Adjustment Training - It seems logical. Charlie and I left the old dog school for various reasons, and taking a break for a little bit from Rally classes ans Agility. I am trying to concentrate on her confidence, since the school was more focused on competitions and Rally skills and did not rreally work on her behaviors. We are now back on 4 miles walk and going to the school bus stop in AM. We got the ususal group of 4th grader girls who is interested in hearing about how we are working on her fear issues. Girls stood about 1 1/2 ft away from Charlie this morning, which was great!! ( They were told just stand there and ignore her....)

Thank you so much, I will look at the book.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service