DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So my little girl Maisie gets eye crust off and on and last night even after a bath she had a large one on the inside corner of her eye. Sadly when I tried to remove it, it took off a layer of skin with it, they are usually just caught in the hair around her eyes.  Any advise on what I can do to prevent that raw area from getting infected.  I'm guessing this is from allergies from the environment unless this might be a poodle thing? TIA

Views: 109

Replies to This Discussion

It's not from allergies. All dogs have some amount of crud that forms in the corners of their eyes; some more than others. People do too. It's perfectly normal. 
I'm wondering what was used to remove it that could possibly have taken off skin? Ho9w big an area is it, and where? Picture? 
In the future, use just a warm damp cloth to clean the corners of the eyes, and wipe very gently. It's a delicate area, just like ours, and rubbing or picking can actually cause an infection.

First of all...what Karen said. Most dogs get some eye boogies, but many non-shedding dog types like poodles can be more prone to allergies and sensitivities that cause more drippy eye situations - just like humans - and the longer the hair, the more the boogies get stuck. If your pup gets a lot of eye boogies, make sure to clean them regularly (read: daily) using that warm cloth technique and you can use some mineral oil (get from Vet) to make a line from their tear duct (don't put in eye) down the cheek to help prevent the eye gunk from getting clotted up there in the hair. 

It's not my favorite part of owning a doodle, but eyes and ears for doodles tend to need some regular TLC. I would check with your vet to see if there's anything that you can put on the raw skin to help it heal, but otherwise, I'd make sure you just clean that area daily while it heals.

I would put a tiny bit of OTC triple antibiotic cream on the area a couple of times a day for 2-3 days.

You may also want to keep the hair under her eyes trimmed fairly short, it will make it easier to remove the eye crud and keep it from accumulating and getting stuck in the fur.

It's actually not as raw as this morning and we just trimmed her face which I just did a few weeks ago,  boy get hair grows fast! 

I think i'm beginning to understand why they keep poodle faces short. Josie is no maintenance, Sassy is low maintenance and this little cutie will clearly be high maintenance! Next month I hope to order a table so I can groom more frequently and maybe longer stubbed scissors, the ones I have are shorter than 3"s

I'd take the hair under and between her eyes a lot shorter. I'm finding out that you just can't really do a doodle cut on a purebred Poodle. The hair grows differently. You have to kind of "scoop out" around the eyes, so that the fur around the muzzle is distinctly separate. I'm trying to find you a picture.

This is not a great picture but it will give you an idea of what I mean:

Some other examples:

Thanks everyone, we'll trim her up more this weekend. No crusties tonight thankfully. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service