DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

There is a new labradoodlehealth@yahoogroups with a Database of Pedigrees for Disease checks.

Seizure/ Epilepsy group - check it out to!

Description

Labradoodle Health Group is here for owners to report their health information and support each other. 

The most frequent problem found to date is Hip Dysplasia but labradoodles have come forward with all the diseases found in the parent breeds, Elbow Dysplasia, Addison's Disease, Epilepsy, Juvenile Renal Dysplasia being amongst the most common.

DATABASE contains a simple PEDIGREE facility. Management reserves the right to request proof of diagnosis or health records.

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

SORRY, this is the FULL page description. Trust me to paste something properly!!!!

Description
Labradoodle Health Group is here for owners to report their health information and support each other.

The most frequent problem found to date is Hip Dysplasia but labradoodles have come forward with all the diseases found in the parent breeds, Elbow Dysplasia, Addison's Disease, Epilepsy, Juvenile Renal Dysplasia being amongst the most common.

DATABASE contains a simple PEDIGREE facility. Management reserves the right to request proof of diagnosis or health records.
I hate Yahoo Groups, so I probably won't be checking it out, but I am wondering how they can have a pedigree database for a mixed breed with such varied parentage. Is it only for ALDs?.
It is for all sorts of Doodles! I put Jasper's pedigree on there, as his Epilepsy is inherited from his Grandfather. Both DNAs are at GT Database in Melbourne. So any dog owner, who assumes genetic inherited Epilepsy could check via this Database, if THEIR dog is from the same bloodline. Responsible breeders would then cull to stop the disease. I am wondering, how many dogs out of Jasper's litter (8pups) have Epilepsy now? One dog was sold to Hong Kong, they rest should be here in OZ.
Just have a peak anyway Karen. See what you think. I was amazed 3 Bloodlines of Jasper's pedigree were shown many times with problems!
I don't think the majority of doodle owners know their dog's pedigree. I don't know what I would look for, Jack was purchased from a pet store prior to being dumped in a shelter.
I did just try to look, but you have to join the group to see anything. They really ought to list Atopic Dermatitis as one of the genetic health problems in labradoodles, we know there are many with that.
But I'm glad you were able to get some helpful info.
I know my dogs pedigrees or at least I think I do since questions have been raised about the Australian pedigrees. But I'm not sure the value of this registry except for breeders. The breeders hopefully try to eliminate any genetic problems from their lines and the breed. A registry, including pets, would be helpful in documenting such illnesses.
As an owner if your dog is healthy, fine. If your dog is ill and it may have a genetic or congenital problem you may be able to get some financial aide from the breeder. But for the most part, if your dog is ill you need to get an accurate diagnosis and treat the dog accordingly.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service