DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello

We are looking to add a doodle to our forever family.  We found a doodle from an Australian doodle breeder in Michigan.  This pup is going to be 1 in January he has been "adopted" 2x by different families and returned for different reasons ~ too large for one family and too active (he was 3 months old) for the first family.

He is blind in one eye but other then that issue he is healthy no other special needs.  The breeder is asking $1800 for him.  They usually charge $2000 - $2500 for puppies.

We feel that is high considering his age, eye issue and the fact he was returned 2x.  The breeder states we need to expect to "pay" for the housetraining.

Thoughts???  We would love to have him to love and spoil.  The breeder is open to an offer ~ what would be a fair offer? 

Thanks!

Lynn

Views: 90

Replies to This Discussion

I read you discussion on my cell phone email and got so upset so if I sound harsh it is not meant towards you in anyway0

I can't imagine the breeder gave 2 full refunds to the other 2 families but whether she did or not is not the point. Her only concern should be that this special needs boy gets into a perfect, forever home and not the money!!!

I personally wouldn't pay her 1 penny but then I am sure my husband would talk me out of that for the welfare of the dog. $1800 for a doodle who will be a year? who is special needs? that is something that only you can decide but IMHO that is much too much!

Pay for housebreaking?? I am not liking person. It sounds to me like her only concern is her checkbook and not the doodles.

I pray that she comes to her senses and sees that you will give this boy a great life, she should be blessed to have found you and just gives him to you with open arms.
It sounds to me that you are rescueing an over-aged pup from a breeder. If he is a year old and has been returned to the breeder twice, then they need to be considering that he needs a furever home. Paying for his "housetraining" sounds inappropriate to me. I would offer to reimburse medical expenses and transportation only. $1800 is way too much.
This makes me sad that this breeder cares more about the money than finding this pup a great home. He has been with two families and returned for stupid reasons and this breeder owes it to this pup to think about him and not her purse. I cannot imagine returning a dog because he got too big or too active and maybe she is not screening these families like a good breeder should. I hope he makes his way to you, but I think $1800 is a very unrealistic price.
Personally, I would think between $0 and $500 would be a fair price for a dog that was returned twice and is blind in one eye. You may be that breeder's only hope for a wonderful home for this pup. We looked at two six month old pups that needed re-homing. We would have paid $500 dollars for either. Both were beautiful black doodles. They were returned because they were too big. However, they had not been socialized in their first homes and were terrified of both my husband and myself AND our two dogs.
We also assisted in re-homing another ALD from our breeder who charged the new owner $500.
I have to agree with majority here. That Breeder sounds like he/she is not concenred about this dog at all.
I would only pay less than $500. Why is he blind on one eye? Was he injuried or was this caused by some illness? If this was due to the illness, you may be possibly looking at the future medical cost as well?
Yes, $500 - slightly above an adoption cost with DRC or idog - I agree 100000%
You know, I am thinking $500. would be reasonable. My breeder lowered her price to that amount when part of one of her litters had a coat that looked a bit spiky. The one parent dog had a spiky type coat and part of the litter took more to that than the the poodle side and the puppies looked cute but a little Punk. I thought they were really cute. She sold them for $500. and they were bought up quickly. They were otherwise in good health, had a 2 year health guarantee, etc. They were gone before I could buy one. I think a re-homed dog (twice) and one with a sight issue should be around $500. at most.
Good morning

$500 would be a dream I know the breeder will not go that low. We made an offer and are waiting to hear. We also asked why he was blind in the one eye so we could be prepared for possible future medical needs.
Well our day started out sad the breeder turned down our offer ~ we had offered $950-1000 plus shipping cost and he said the best would be $1500 plus $350 for shipping. We just feel that is too high ~ hopefully the doodle will find a home and we will find our "perfect" doodle for our family.

Thanks again for all your advice.
Lynn, I am sorry for you and know you are disappointed. You never know, he may realize he is never going to get that amount of money and still get back to you. The breeder sounds like a jerk, in my opinion. The perfect doodle is out there for you!!
Ahhh... I am sorry that it did not work out.... I hope you find a perfect doodle who needs your love, and hope this poor puppy find a home as well....
Lyn, I am sorry this hasn't worked out. You must be very disappointed, but I really feel that it must not have been the right dog for you and the right one will find you. I do think that your offer was too high and that the breeder was stupid not to take it. He/she may be contacting you when you don't go for the his higher price. If he does, I would tell him your offer has changed to $500 plus shipping. Now that I think of it, would you be buying this dog without seeing it or visiting the breeder? If so, you might be dealing with a puppy mill. Do make sure you aren't. Adrianne Matzkin's Samantha is from Michigan I think and she was a puppy mill dog. Just saying....

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service