DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all,
Are there any single females out there with multiples? I am seriously considering a playmate for Hattie but worry there won't be enough of me to go around! If you are single, please talk to me about the pros and cons of two dogs by yourself! Thanks!

Views: 479

Replies to This Discussion

I'm no help with this now, but for many years ,when I was single, I did have: 29 fish, 3 cats, 2 dogs ( combined weighed over 240lbs), and two human sons. 

You will do just fine.  It is called a family. The definition of family consists of many different  things  :)

There will be time for just you, time for one, time for themselves, times together.  It is just different.  It wont be the same, but it is different.  A good different. 

Jen, Lachlen, and Declan and F. Parker come to mind with this question. Maybe they will chime in here.

Since you do train, and train very well, I'm thinking since you are so responsible, this is not going to be a problem but more of a joy

OK, here I am. I have two doodles, only about 110 pounds together : ), and in some ways it's more work and in some ways it's less work. The doodles do exercise themselves if I sit in the yard they will eventually start a game of chase/war, which I could never keep up with in terms of getting them moving. They never have any aggression or problems with each other. Whether they really enjoy having each other, I like to think so but they don't often show affection to each other. I take them lots of places and they are really not more of a problem in that than one. I do crate them when I'm not home. I like to think they comfort each other.

I do use prong collars but they really are not a problem to walk although heel is not in their vocabulary. It took them one or two lessons with treats held on one side of the dog door to learn how to use it and they use it all the time.

I have not regretted getting a second dog. My family thought I was nuts when I spoke of a second dog so I just did it and invited them to dinner later on to meet Calla. They were shocked. I have moments when I think life would be easier without dogs but I then realize they make my life much fuller and are wonderful company.

Yesterday we went to take my son and his SO back to NYC, since they had lots of packages. They now live near my alma mater, City College of NY, where I hadn't set foot for decades, and the dogs and I stopped by for a long, sentimental walk.

What a beautiful place to go to college, F.  I think you handle two just as well as one.

Love this photo F.  Beautiful place.  I see you walking those steps as a young smart woman! 

Thanks J.

I remember some of the sad first days of Hattie's life -when she may be sick from Parvo but that worked out too.  I don't remember the exhaustion. 

Do you have a yard that these two can let off some energy?  That would be my biggest suggestion. Yes, that energy is intense.

Crates are replaceable.  As for crates though-always keep, then use them as a storage for emergency/disaster prep: enough food, water, blankets, copies of paperwork. You really need to get one again anyway  :)  

Besides, you are sending me one of those doodles anyway-right?   I'll pick HIM up at the Akron-Canton Airport when he arrives. We can do this together

We all have family that thinks we should be committed because of our commitment to our doodles... it's not because you are single. ;o)

It will be hard but it will be worth it. There will be days you will wonder if you made a huge mistake but the love and fun make up for it.

BTW Beautiful photo of your alma mater, Lucca and Calla, F!

Oh yes!  I remember the guarding issues.  That may be exacerbated again with another dog.  Not fun. 

Just answered you on WWF

They are 10 months apart. But I think getting Calla at 17 weeks made life a lot easier than if I got her at about 10 weeks like Luca made a big difference. He was about 14 months old when she came. As to walking, they are all over but I do try to keep them on one side :-) 

NO PICK UP AT  6 WEEKS!   Remember all the bite inhibition stories here on DK.  8 wees  plus at least.  That one is firm. 

No, I don't.  Sorry   :)

You are  human and Hattie is not a sibling.

This one is sooooooooooooooooo important for life-long issues.   

The older, the easier with a pup in almost all ways but bite inhibition is a biggie. Luca was a shark and I was ignorant. With Calla it was chewing but not on me : )

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service