DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well after a 1 day delay, Mojo is finally here with us! He was a bit of a nervous nelly on the ride home. Lots of panting, some whining... I felt bad for him. He sat up in the front seat with me wearing a seatbelt harness thing which is always what I do with Sam, but it was probably a new thing for him.

When we got here I took him out to the back yard first... Sam started yelling and whining from his crate right away (as he can see the back door from there) but I made him wait a bit so Mojo could have a sniff around the yard and then I let him out.

They checked each other out some and chased a bit but then we all came back inside and let Mojo check out the house. I have the kitchen and family room gated off (basically 2/3 of the downstairs is available to them). We had been letting Sammy roam around more (leaving the gate open) but I need to make sure Mojo is not a major chewer and knows about going out to do his business and all that before I let him roam so for now, the gate will stay up.

I brought out a bully stick and split it in half (not an easy task) and let them both sit in the same room together and chew... seemed to go well -- they swapped sticks every so often but no guarding behavior or fighting at all. I also brought out a couple of new plush-unstuffed toys and they liked those as well and would take them away from each other at times, but it was all very playful. It is nice that they are only a few months apart because they are at the same stage of things developmentally... And while Mojo is smaller, he is MUCH faster so playing outside turns in to a game of high speed chase and Sam can't really keep up-- but it is so good to see him trying to and getting more exercise!

I need to get some video of them zooming around outside.

Speaking of video -- I promise to post some pictures -- it is just my battery went totally dead and is now recharging.

So Mojo has no training really. It is weird to have a 1 year old dog that doesn't know "sit" at all. He just looks at me like I am speaking French (which I am sure, to him, I am!) He doesn't really come to his name either... so I have my work cut out for me. I already managed to get sit by putting a lead on him and luring with a treat (the lead is just so he can't keep backing away from me). After a few treats, he was starting to get it.

My questions for you all are:
-how do I work on training him when Sam is always butting in the way? I tried sending Sam upstairs and keeping Mojo in the kitchen but Sam sat and whined and cried on the other side of the gate because he wanted in on what we were doing. SIGH.
-not sure how this alpha thing works? any big no-nos? I put their dog dishes down (fresh cooked turkey and kibble) about 4 feet apart and they both kept going back and forth eating out of both... they are sharing the water bowls fine (1 inside, 1 outside) they are wrestling around right now... in the house -- not sure if I should shut them down or not... this is the first I have seen of this since outside it was mostly just chase...

OK I put it to a stop because it turned into wild chase.

-Mojo doesn't know that we don't put paws on the table, don't jump on the couch down here (it will be awhile before I let him know that the upstairs couch is fine for dogs), and that we wipe paws when we come in the house. He seems very willing to figure it all out though, but it is definitely different than training a new puppy or much younger dog. Any wisdom on this? Treats seem to work well when he is staring at me like I am a crazy person... it is new for me though because Sam was more into just coming to us naturally, sitting naturally and we just encouraged it and gave him words for these behaviors... for Mojo it really is liking teaching him something that is totally new.

This is long enough for now... I know I will have lots of questions that come up. I will get pictures up as soon as my camera charges and I can get them to stay still for a moment!

Jen

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats on your new addition - the photos are cute.  As far as the seat belt issue - Rooney rides in a car seat and is strapped in with a safety harness - his car seat is in the back - just like you would with a child - lol.  The airbag thing is something that most people don't realize with dogs - it could kill them or cause severe damage.  At least you are strapping them in - too many people let their dogs travel loose in the vehicle - guess where they are going to end up if there is a bad crash?  Right out the windshield.
Jane, what kind of car seat and safety harness do you have for Rooney?  We keep our Doodles in the back seat for safety and use a hook attached to the seat belt but we have been shopping for harnesses to use in the back seat.  We think they are probably too big (30lbs. and 40 lbs.) for the doggie carseats.  But you have more information.

Jacks car seat is an actual dog booster that straps in with a seat belt that has a harness attached to it. It holds dogs up to 40 pounds though I have to admit, I can not imagine a 40 pound dog being that comfortable in there.

Pet Smart has great harnesses that attach to regular seat belts in the back seat. . I feel like it is important as well to consider the air bag thing. They are set off to go off very easily and they can break your nose. When I worked as an ER nurse I saw a lot of full size grown ups with facial injuries and broken noses from airbags. They do save lives but they can be very damaging to little ones.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3975659

It is much easier to put a smaller doodle in a car seat.  Sydney and Olivia are big girls so we are trying to find the best option to keep them safe.  For now we strap them in the back seat.  We travel to our Mom's (2 hour drive) quite a bit with the Doodles.  We have been looking for comfortable harnesses to be used in the car.
Thanx ! I need to get a car seat harness soon for our pups ( 20 + 22 lbs) .   Storm seems to be scared during all of our car rides, and always lays down, with his head down. With a harness to carseat  strap , can he lay down with that on?    Or is it better to have him in a travel kennel?

Congrats! on your new puppy. Did you let the first dog loose at night and start recrating him when the second dog came? Do you have a van or explorer type vehicle? Dog's should not be in the front seat, as could be very distracting if something sets dog off on the street when your driving.Also air bag deployment  could injure the dog if sitting up or standing just looking out the window. Remember Jennifer you are the alpha of your pack and they will follow. I have four dogs Harlee is the only dog aloud in the bedroom and that is at bedtime. He has a wonderful bed on the floor at the  end of my bed. Miss Chloe finally at two is left loose in the house at night. But I still crate buddy nights he will be two in June. Of course Miss Fergie will be 6 months at the end of March. Those two may remain crated who knows. Another thing for training you could do is tie Sam put him in a stay sit or down. Then work with mojo that will sometimes work for teaching sit stay or down stay. The distraction would be good also.

We always have crated Sam at night so that is not new... but usually when I am home, I have him wherever I am while I am helping the kids clean upstairs and get ready for bed -- but Mojo was getting into too much stuff and I just crated them both so I could get some things done and Sam was totally annoyed about that.  I guess I haven't done much crating of one and not the other and I should...

Though yesterday we had company over and Mojo was barking at each person who came in so I just would walk him to the crate and put him in and let him stew until he was ready to come greet people nicely -- which he did.. until the next person showed up at the door... then we did it all over again.  Once people were here -- he was totally fine and behaved.  So crating him separately works well.

I tend to train throughout the day -- not for a set period of time... so I have to get used to dealing with both or maybe having a more set time of day.  I do basic stuff like making sure they sit at doorways and wait for an "OK" from me before proceeding... Sam is totally used to all this and does it all -- but Mojo has no clue so then Sam starts to whine or get annoyed when he IS SITTING and I still am not releasing him or opening the door because I am waiting for Mojo.  I suppose this is just a BAD plan on my part... it is kind of good for Sam though -- he really has to work on being patient... hee hee.

I got the message on the front seat!  GOT IT :)  I won't ever do it again.  Poor Sam will freak out and moan and be sad in the back... but I will do it anyhow I promise!  We have a double grooming appt on Wednesday so that will be the first trip with both in the car... should be an adventure... especially getting them into the shop since Mojo is so bad on a lead... yikes!

We got a harness for Clancy when we are in the jeep and it is really easy to clip on and padded for his comfort.  It is made by Four Paws. And it was really, really cheap

http://www.antonline.com/p_59168-NX_666564.htm?sID=NX

Wow this sounds great!  I need to get one soon for each pup.  Thanks for posting this!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service