DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We are picking up our 2 pups in 2 weeks and visited their soon-to-be vet to meet him and to get some advice. He asked why we were getting 2 at once and said it may be much harder to train them, because they would be more interested in playing with each other than focusing on us. I asked if we'd have to each work with one puppy on opposite sides of the house and then switch dogs to make sure both of them obeyed both of us. He said we might have to do something like that. I'm curious if anyone who had litter mates had that kind of problems with training and what you did about it. Thanks!

Views: 142

Replies to This Discussion

We have not had two pups at the same time, but I would agree with your vet.  They will tend to focus on each other rather than on you.  On the other hand, they have their built-in playmate.  I think it is rather like having twins.  You will have to get some special organization arranged to deal with both of them.  Good luck.

Thanks Lynda. I think it will take a lot of organization, and I am hoping "forewarned is forearmed" in this case. The potty training should be interesting, but at least I'm in a house with a yard. Could be worse--I was talking to someone the other day who was in a high rise and had to deal with an elevator during potty training. She said she cleaned the elevator floor 10 times more than the maintenance crew that spring!

While I'm not an expert here, my first thoughts about the Vet's comments is that just like Vets are not trained in and experts on food, they are also normally not trainers either.  Our first doodles were Liter Mate Sisters.   We spent a lot of time training them.  Mostly because we had just moved back to Ohio from FL and DH was not working at the time.  So, we had a lot of time.  We took them to the same class and each of us worked one dog.  We did occasionally switch off and I would sometimes work Lucy just so she knew that she had to listen to me also, not just DH.  When we first started they said that we might have to take separate classes but they would see how the dogs acted in the same class.  Ours did fine and we continued on in the same class.  We also put in a lot of effort outside of class with both of us working a dog.  I think pretty much you are going to get out of it what you put in to it.

Having liter mates though is different or at least it was from my perspective.  Maybe some others with liter mates will comment as well.  We started out with liter mates.   Our original goal was to have two therapy dogs.  One for each of us.  However, Lucy didn't seem to enjoy the interaction with a lot of people.  She was more shy.  Sophie was very outgoing and loved everyone.  They didn't seem to play with toys or want to fetch.  They just played  with each other and chewed on each other.  Although they always wanted to be around me, they weren't sit next to you on your lap in your face type personalities.  They would lay at the other end of the sofa or on the floor right beside you.  The reason that I bring that up is after we lost Sophie and got AnnaBelle I see how different AnnaBelle is from either of the others and I also see how Lucy is changing without her liter mate Sister around.  AnnaBelle loves toys.  She is always playing with something or chewing on something.  She loves to fetch.  She loves to lay right beside me or half in my lap.  Lucy has even begun to love toys and is always trying to take one from AnnaBelle.  Lucy is also becoming more outgoing with people and approaching them for pets and loving where before she sort of hung back.   I will also say that the whole potty training thing was so easy with an older dog leading the way for a puppy.  I think training is the same.  If you have one very well trained dog, the puppy is just going to follow the leader.  You can actually watch AnnaBelle look to Lucy to see if she is going to do what I asked and then follow suit.  Having two is going to be a challenge.  There were days I thought I was going to loose my mind (and I didn't have children or a job to worry about in addition to having two puppies).  But, if you put in the effort you will survive!  I would just add that there was someone on here recently though that had litermates and they just would not stop fighting.  There can be those type issues with liter mates either as puppies or even once they become adults (apparently).  I just did not experience that so can't speak to it.

Thanks for your insight. We are also going to be able to devote our time to this as we're both retired, but I do think it will be a challenge. Having had the benefit of your report, I think we'll be making extra effort to work one on one with them, to make sure they aren't fixated on each other. Thanks for responding.
We were "warned" by a number of people that getting litter mates was not a good idea. However, we have had no problems and I wouldn't change a thing. Our boys do love to play together, but we also assure that they have separate play time. We took them to the same obedience class. Hubby had one, and I had the other. We did keep them apart so they couldn't interact during classes. We walk them separately, take one with us for short rides in the car, etc. they each have their own crate where they are fed, and sleep at night. They have different personalities and it is fun watching each personality develop. If you haven't read about Litter-Mate Syndrome, you should do so. That way, you will be prepared, take steps to avoid allowing that to happen, and you will be able to have fun raising litter mates.
Joyce,
Thanks for your information on litter mate syndrome. I'm glad I read about it before we brought them home so we can work on preventing that from the start. We plan to work with them individually and swap training each pup. We just checked into a doggy daycare place nearby that we may let each of them attend for a half day a week (once they've had all their shots). That way they'll each be with other dogs without their brother while we'll have a half day with the other boy. We already have separate crates for them, but we'd planned to keep them together at first. Looks like that plan is changed! It's reassuring to hear that you haven't had problems with Casey and Cody. There's nothing like reassurance from a veteran. Thanks!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service