DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Not sure if this is the right area, but I'm looking at getting a Goldendoodle probably after the summer time.  I look at a few breeder's contracts. They both require a vet check 72 hours after bringing home the puppy which I don't mind at all. 

We have a vet that now comes to our house so the puppy will not be "exposed" to other animals in a vet clinic. My question is what are we "require" to check and what tests can she do? Also does the vet normally call the breeders vet? 

We switched to having a vet come check our cat at home, we figure it was less stressful for her. Our new vet "limits" the shots she does and only does what she thinks is needed. But we do have a vet close that we can take the dog for the stuff she can't do like the "sprayed or neuter". We took our cat there but have since wanted to go a more "natural" care. So found this vet which she does house calls.

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

If I remember correctly our vet just did a typical puppy exam. The vet kind of knew what to do. It included checking her pretty much all over-joints, ears, eyes, heart, etc. everything that can be checked from the outside.  There were no actual tests involved except he may have done a fecal check for parasites. I can't remember for certain but that can be done right at the clinic.    It was not necessary for my vet to call the breeder's vet but my breeder did request that I send/fax her evidence of the exam and that my vet confirmed that she sold me a healthy puppy.

You might check with your breeder (once you decide on one)  and ask what she/he expects at her end from the puppy exam. And also check with your vet to see if she does new puppy exams and has a way to check for parasites.

It's great that you have a vet that comes to the house. Ours doesn't but since he is our neighbor he did come to the house to give Tara her vaccinations so she didn't have to go to the clinic. :)

I think a lot of breeders have that in their contracts so that you will take your dog in to the vet to make sure that everything is ok and to verify that you received a healthy puppy.  If the vet were to discover any problems then you could contact the breeder right away.  Our breeder's contract didn't require it, but I had him at the vet for his first check-up 2 days after we brought him home.

Thanks for the responses. I'll find out what type of "new" puppy exam she does..

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service