DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have a problem with my 1 year old Gracie, the mini Goldendoodle. Early on she had biting issues as most puppies do. This was a particularly difficult problem as my elderly mom lives here and is in danger around puppy mouths. We corrected her repeatedly and she is so smart, she developed the habit of picking up a toy whenever she is overly excited. This seems to be her way of controlling her mouthy urges. Now, she has become an even worse danger. When she is in that excitable state, if she has her toy in her mouth, she now wants to paw at her person of interest. My moms skin is like tissue paper, the paws are more dangerous than the mouth was. Any ideas? I know the spring training coming up may be the place for this issue, but I need help now in helping her control her overwhelm ing happiness. This usually happens when she first sees a person in the morning or returning home. Also, I have more control, she is more obedient and less dangerous for me.

Views: 140

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I'll have to practice with the other household members. Gracie is pretty obedient for me. She even has earned her CGC. It's just that initial morning excitement that maes her bonkers!
We are having a similar problem with 11-week-old Barkley. If anyone has any tips on how to stop him from mouthing/biting in excited happiness, I would be really grateful! We have tried substituting toys, and that has had limited effect. If we could just get this--and potty training--figured out, he'd be the perfect dog!
Hello, I have had Mandy for one week now (she is 9 wks old). The mouthing issue is the only difficult thing about her. She sleeps all night and has very few accidents in the house, expected since she is just learning. She gets excited and the mouth gets going, I think she is part alligator!! I put her chew toys in her mouth and she will chew them. But when a hand is close by she goes after it. I tried closing her mouth, gently, and "close mouth" but she gets going harder and flopping around to move her head and get me. Did yours do that too? Should I just remain consistant or try something else?
Cindy, our puppy is 14 weeks old and I'm seriously thinking about the part alligator part too. I look forward to reading some advice because our puppy's first response is to take those sharp teeth and mouth a hand. I've done the "no bite" tactic, as does my husband, which I think is reducing it, but when she gets excited to see a new person she immediately goes for the mouth on hand. I'm teaching sit and down and hope that eventually the meeting new people strategies will help.
I am also working on the sit command and she did well while doing it (for a treat of her food). When that ended she started her mouthing and got my foot good. She loves to bite my clothes, which of course she gets some of my skin too! I know this won't end in the near future, but once it is over I will be thrilled. Mandy stands off from people she doesn't know, she checks them out before approaching, which is what I wanted. But when that mouth gets going the best thing I have done is put her soft toy in front of her and let her chew that up.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service