DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I left our aussiedoodle puppy home alone today for the first time.  He has an ex pen attached to the crate.  When the dog walker came, the dog was no where to be found!!! He'd made it all the way upstairs and was in the kids room.  I don't know how he got out, but the only possibility is he somehow got to the top of the crate and jumped off of there.  Has anyone else had this happen??  I don't really want to have to keep him just in the crate during the day.

Read more here: http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/puppymadness#ixzz3M7ViG8uQ

Views: 265

Replies to This Discussion

The first night we ever left our Aussidoodle pup alone for a few hours, we came back and she was out of her crate! She was only 10 weeks old. We were scared something happened to her,  but she was laying down near our couch. Not sure how she got out, so we've been double checking her crate ever since.

Oh my goodness, I don't know how tall that expen is or how big your doodle, but he seems like a very agile guy! Or maybe he still had excess energy? When you're ready to give him more freedom, perhaps bag the expen and instead, gate off the safety-proofed room. Glad he was ok and you just have a funny story :)
Oops I hadn't realized he was so new! You must still be crate training? Please disregard freedom advice above! :-) the crate worked great for us at that stage, and still. In fact Rip is eight months now and he still loves his crate - associates it with treats and tired, well deserved rest breaks... I could give him more freedom now but I think he prefers the crate! :-) enjoy the lil guy! Best,

I had an ex-pen around the crate for my last two puppies as well. The first one had separation anxiety, so I wasn't all tht surprised when he was 14 weeks to see him climb out of the ex-pen. My next puppy, my little doodle who is now 11 months and 28 lbs, didn't wait as long. She climbed out the first week. I don't know how high your ex-pen is. Mine was 36". You might want to either try a higher pen height, ot put some sort of cover over it. I just gave up and used the crate.

I can just see it!  I had a tall goldendoodle and as a puppy he just hopped out of his playpen.  I did not use crates in the house.  He probably just jumped onto the top of the crate and was home free.  They are very agile dogs and a hop would not be too much of a challenge, especially is he was motivated.  We put a sheet of wood on the top of his playpen when we did not want him jumping out and fastened it down with bungee cords.  I used playpens for all my puppies and he was the only one who escaped, but he was 30 inches tall (when grown).

Our puppy just started jumping like crazy. I wouldn't put it past them to hop over with how high they can jump! This is a hoppy, jumpy breed for sure!

Oh my, that is what I worry about. When we leave Annie it is usually for no more than 3 hours, but I know she could cause a lot of damage in those 3 hours. Most of the time she is just curled up sleeping on her bed when we get home, but I don't think that would be the case if she were to escape. Yes they are jumpers, that is for sure. Mine is also very good at walking on her 2 hind legs, but I guess that is another story.

I witnessed my 9 week doodle literally climb out of the pen like she was climbing a ladder! Lol. I returned the pen and got a baby gate instead.
Wow! So interesting to hear about all these climbers/jumpers. I can't even get Rippley to jump into the car! :-)

Our Springer has always been able to escape from an ex-pen, climb over barriers etc.  Even after leg surgery he would climb.  When he was little and we needed to keep him confined somewhat, we had to shove a six foot high hutch in front of what was an open hallway and even then he sometimes pushed his way out.  He has anxiety and simply cannot be confined without his 'people' around.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service