DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My puppy was just dx with Giardia :(.  I noticed last night she was pooping a lot and then overnight she had two accidents in her crate(which is not like her) and then she kept pooping and then she threw up this morning.  The vet has her on antibotic and they told me to feed her a bland dient - rice/chicken.  I have bleached her crate.  What else should I do?  I have another dog that I hopes does not get it and will take a sample to vet to see if she does - the only issue is she goes to a field on our land to do her business and not in our yard.  So it is difficult to get a sample from her.

Views: 156

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry to hear. Unfortunately I have just gone through this. It's terrible for the puppy and it can last 2-3 weeks with some very unpleasant poops. We had to always pick it up (which we do anyway) but it requires you to be cautious because it is contagious via feces to humans and of course the other pup. When it came to testing my other pup my vet just took a sample. They had first asked if I brought in a sample and basically I told them that they charge me more than enough and that they can do it. To be honest my pup didn't even mind it was very quick like if they were taking her temp but they got their sample. She was fine. Now for the puppy I gave he was given antibiotics and a powder medicine along with a brand of ID bland dog food from the vet for one week. After the week he still had bacteria and was put on Probiotics for another 2 weeks. Try to see if you can have your other pup poop near you for monitoring. It's the only way we knew because our puppy acted very normal and the only symptom was that we saw blood on his poop. Ay, good luck and hope its a speedy recovery.
What cleaner did you use. I mixed in bleach and water i threw away soft toys and kong toys what should I clean them with
When he pooped in his crate we did throw away the only stuffed toy in there. We basically disinfected the crate with Lysol and let it air out. He had two mornings like that so we placed pee pee pads down. Also had to bathe him and make sure his bottom is always clean. We did wear latex gloves for bathing and picking up his poop. As for the other toys as long as there's no feces on them it's ok to play with. Now outside we had to pick it up and it wasn't solid so that was a hassle but a must. We would hose the area too. He didn't have any accidents on the floor because we were always making sure he was near the door and you have to be fast!

Thanks!  I am using plastic bags to pick-up poop and also washing hands immediately.  Her crate and ex pen is in our garage so that is where i have her currently.  I also have bleached down that area.  I was told by vet after done with medication to give her a bath.

Hi Andi,

I'm in the same boat as you.  My 9 week old pup Bella has Giardia, but didn't exhibit any symptoms.  The vet gave me the powder to put in her food for 3 days.  Dhe didn't give me an antiobiotic because she is already on clavamox for a UTI (which she had the day we picked her up).  Now, Bella is much better, however, Brandy, my 10 yr old doodle threw up 3 times this morning and won't touch her food.  I took her to the vet this morning with a stool sample.  No diarrhea yet, but the vet gave her anti diarrhea and anti nausea meds.  I'll let you know if she got Giardia from the pup.  Perhaps the pup was carrying a virus but didn't exhibit symptoms?  I can also relate about being reintroduced to puppyhood after 10 years.  It's amazing how much I fogot!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service