DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Need advice on should I get a smaller crate? What size?

I just picked up a free crate a friend gave me yesterday and got it home and it is HUGE.- 36"l x24"w. It is way to big to fit inside his pen area where he'll be staying. I got him a very nice pen  that let's me give him a 6x6 foot area, attached photo. Never mind the rug- that's getting rolled up and a sheet of 6ft by 12 ft linoleum is going down to protect the carpet.

I was thinking of putting the crate in the pen, but that won't work with this giant pen.

The other problem is that giant pen hardly fits in my bedroom, we'd have to do some serious moving around. Ideally I'd like a smaller pen that could fit in there and I can move it from the pen in day to my room at night.

A note about the pup. His mom is a 35 lb Standard Poodle and Dad is a 55lb Goldendoodle.

I really hate to spend more money on another crate, but...I want him to get used to crate training. My friend thinks the pen is adequate but I think he should just get used to a crate.

- Should I get another smaller crate that'll suit him for the first few months? How soon is he going to outgrow a smaller crate? SIze reccomendation?

I can always resell on Craigslist.

Views: 301

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

We switched to the bigger crate when he could just barely stand in the small one-that was the end of November so he was about 5 months and about 35 lbs?  the smaller crate was around 2 feet high, I think.  He is 11 1/2 months now and about 50 lbs., and I think he is done growing but is quite slim (especially noticeable since we just had a summer groom). He may fill out more. 

When we were home, I almost always let him be outside the crate, but I also always knew where he was and what he was doing. we had gates across the kitchen doors that lead to the hall and upstairs.  He stayed in the kitchen or den near me or my husband and we always had him in sight.  some people tether, I did not do that either.  

I think much depends on your doodle.  If they tend to "steal" clothes, counter surf or chew furniture, you will likely be stricter with keeping the pup in the pen.  my guy was pretty good as a pup, although he did his fair share of stealing odd bits, like my reading glasses! pillows were a favorite, socks and underwear from  the laundry.  

I think you need a safe place for a pup when they are unsupervised and his size and temperament will help you figure out what works best.  good luck!  

here is our super size crate. 

Resolved. I went ahead and bought a smaller crate, I got a 29"L x 20"W x 23"  sized crate that actually fits next to my bed so even if that only works for two months, it gives us all time to adjust and see what works best. I really appreciate all the advice on this. I can always go up to the giant crate my friend has. 6 days left 'til puppy comes home:)

What a great pen.  I think it is great that you went ahead with the 2nd smaller crate.  It will make your life much easier in the long run.  I just wanted to mention something since you still have a few days before the puppy comes home.  Not sure how big your puppy is, but the spacing on your fencing here looks a little wide.  I know just yesterday our AnnaBelle went right through our outside fencing.  I had been watching her really closely because I thought she might be able to.  When you look at her and the fence it doesn't look like she would fit.  However the little girl next door came running up to the fence and AnnaBelle went running towards her and straight through the fence.  Ours is the metal/aluminum outdoor fencing that the spacing looks just about like this.  Our AnnaBelle is 10 weeks at 8 lbs 15 ozs.  Just thought I'd mention so you have time to check how wide yours are if your puppy is small.  Here is what our fence panels are like that she went right through.  . 

I feel much better about it with your advice! Thank you! I also thought about that. I just lost my whole reply so I'll just keep this one short_ My fence is 2.5 inches between the bars, what is yours? I was thinking that i could weave some canvas fabric between the bars all the way around, or on the inside, what have you-I'm not sure what else i could put there that he won't chew up or just want to play with. Is your Annabelle still in a smaller crate? What size?

I would think that should be ok.  My fence bars are 3 3/4.  Depending on the size of your puppy just make sure it can't get it's head through the bars and get stuck.  Our crate is 22x24x36.  We just have the crate in the bedroom and I just put her in there if we have to leave her home for any reason.  I just reduced its size with a big cardboard box as I didn't have a divider.  We are both retired now so it is rare she has to stay home alone for any length of time.  As soon as she is potty trained she will then move into Lucy's (our other Doodle) room with her.  Good luck with your new puppy.  You are about to take a journey that will change your life in a good way.

Thank you for checking those measurements for me! The crate you have is the larger size I have but don't want to use yet because I have no room for it with the pen  here too...

Thank you for your encouragement about the journey! I've never had a puppy but hope he will be a very a great companion and love going on walks and riding on my bike (in a trailer, of course). We've had a rather difficult year here with some losses and I think it's just the right time.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service