DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We brought our beautiful little Labradoodle, Siena, home on May 2nd. She was 9 weeks old. Well, it's been 2 weeks and she is NOT potty trained. I might be expecting a lot... but I have been following the rules to the "T". I take her out immediately after play and nap time. I set the timer for every 25 minutes in between and take her out then as well. I take her to the SAME door every time. I praise her when she goes potty. I will watch her potty, bring her in and 5 minutes later she is going on the floor. I am exhausted. I take her to the same door at least 20 times a day. Still, she does not go to the door or bark to be let out. The only reason she hasn't had more accidents is because I'm setting the timer and taking her out every 25 minutes. The breeder mentioned the "tether method"... but I was looking for any other suggestions first, since I have a 3 and 5 year old. I tried the tether method for an afternoon... we almost killed each other tripping over each other (I rarely sit down during the day)! Any help would be most appreciated!!!!! Thanks!! :-)

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like you're doing exactly what we did -- Our trainer explained there are two parts for housetraining: first is easy -- the puppy learns its okay to go outside. Second, is harder -- the puppy needs to learn not to go inside. I didn't feel completely comfortable until about 4 1/2 months that he knew the second rule. Good luck!
This takes patience. Many people don't like wee pads but it worked great for us because when we brought our puppy home it was twenty degrees below zero and we did not get bundled up every fifteen minutes. She learned very quickly to go on the pads we put in the bathroom. This helped a lot when we traveled with her too. I don't think we ever had an accident on the carpet. She is now five months old and we have completely phased out the pads and we think (fingers crossed) that she qualifies as completely housetrained. She has learned to bark at the leash hanging by the door in order to go out to potty. There was a time at about 16 weeks that I wondered if she'd ever go outside full time...she does now. I think maybe it is also a maturity thing. We were consistent and did everything that it sounds like you are doing and eventually she got it. It also sounds reassuring to hear that others didn't get completely housetrained until four to five months old.
Thanks to all! I know it's a lot to ask, but everyone kept saying how intelligent Labradoodles are (I'm not doubting they are!) and that this one or that one was trained to ask to go outside after the 3rd time!!! Naturally I'm frustrated when mine doesn't even acknowledge she knows which door to go out!!! :-) Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I made it through 9 months of a child with malignant colic (all day every day) so I'm pretty confident I'll make it through 4-5 months of house training (I think!)! :-)
Oh Misty .. Siena is SOOO young still. I would not expect anything more from her at this point.
My darn Rosco (who is 3 now) took probably 7-10 months to be totally house trained and I did everything right...mostly!
He just had a lot of pee the little guy!

Some pups take a couple pees to fully empty their bladder, so don't be surprised if she comes in to pee a second time.

She is STILL learning what is HER HOME vs. not her home so accidents are to be expected.

She's STILL got the attention span of flea at this age so she will forget what she's doing and pee or get excited and pee or be so involved in playing that she won't think of where she is and...um..pee.

I love the idea of tethering ... but frankly didn't do it either. Unless I'm sitting down I prefer not to be attached to a pup like you.

Remember that the crate is your friend! A 9-16 week old pup needs to be watched with full attention and all eyes on puppy. When that is not possible puppy needs to be confined. Running around freely will surely stimulate the puppy to pee/poop. But in a crate, just sitting or lying there chances are SLIM for going potty. So when no adult can watch the puppy...put her in her crate and go about your day's work knowing that she's safe and contained and won't be wetting your floors.

You can teach her to ring a bell to let you know when she has to go...if you go to the main forum and click on "bell" or "bells" you'll find past discussions on this with instructions. Even more past discussions with more tips on house training if you search for other related terms.

Good luck! Patience =)
I know you are frustrated and it compounds with having young children. I can FEEL your exhaustion because I was exhausted in the early months and my kids are older!! We kept Lucca contained in the kitchen until he was at least 4-5 months old. We had an area rug in the kitchen and I finally gave up on that!! We got rid of the rug and I kept LOTS of Nature's Miracle and paper towels on hand. This all happened when my husband had open heart surgery and it was Xmas time!! It all changed around 4 months when we got a "potty bell". I was spectacle but Lucca thought it was a game and it REALLY worked. My husband was shocked!! Now at 8 months Lucca basically has the run of the house within limits...garbage cans, shoes and socks have to be up high!!! It will get better. They really are smart and she will figure it out. Good luck!!!
Shortly after my last post, in the 4 minutes it took me to get the kids out of the tub and dressed, she pooped in the living room... AGAIN. I took her out for the 3rd time after her dinner right before getting the kids out of the bath. Deep breath.... count to 10. :-) I think I might look into the pads and the bell... whatever works. I'm willing to try anything. I know I need to CONTINUE to have patience... it's just exhausting. I might need to utilize her crate a little more. I just feel so terrible putting her in there when I'm home. She doesn't seem to mind it at all, but still. Thanks to everyone for your posts. Please keep posting any new ideas (or just support... I could use it)! :-)
I put a large eyehook in the baseboard of the three rooms that Beck is allowed in, when I am not able to directly supervise him, he is tethered on a 10' leash to the baseboard. He has plenty of freedom of movement and there is always fresh water, toys, and a blanket or pad for him to lay on. He's almost 5 months and he is much better than he was - he does tell me he wants to go out, but if I don't run to him immediately and take him out he just goes on the floor, which is odd because he sleeps in a crate and can hold it for 9 hours
It seems 10 feet of leash would still allow her to go potty. Does it keep Beck from going?
yeah, he won't go anywhere near where he is tethered. If he's loose and get's excited he will do a drive-by pee in the laundry room, zooming in and out so fast that I'm sure he thinks no one will see him.
haha Cheryl, that's funny! Beck pees twice and poops 3 times, his poops are always triangulated- I kid you not, they always form a perfect triangle. If I take him out and he only pees once or drops less than 3 poops I know that he will finish in the house ugh
Hi Misty,

Nine weeks is VERY young! I think you maybe had some seriously high expectations that no dog could ever meet. If a dood could be trained in three DAYS, you would be waiting years to get one. It sounds like you really have your hands full with two under 6 and a puppy.You have to resign to the fact that there is no way on the face of this earth ANY dog will be trained at 9 weeks. Once you realize it is going to take a few weeks til she is more regular, and months until she is housebroken. I think maybe your frustration level will go down. You are doing everything right. Just remember, she is NINE weeks old. You wouldn't expect your baby to be potty trained at 9 months - It is a feat at 19 months! Just don't think that she is a difficult dog ~ way too soon to make that judgement. And just take it one day at a time.

Good Luck
Thanks. She is actually 11 weeks (9 weeks when we brought her home) not that it is any different. I really wasn't expecting a miracle... just some sign that she knows where I'm going with all this. It can certainly be frustrating. But she is a sweet, cuddly little ball of fire... and we love her. This too shall pass...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service