DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello! I'm looking to get my girl spayed this month. How long does a normal recovery last? Should I look at keeping open a week? A few days? Two weeks? Looking at how crazy this month is I might need to wait a few days past her 6 month birthday but I was told before 6 months so wondering if I should just book it now. Attached a picture for fun! 

Views: 1955

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Every vet is different my vet recommends letting female dogs have one heat cycle before spaying. They recover quite quickly usually the most common issue is the dog licking and pulling at the sutures. You don't need to open up a whole week she will spring back into action in a few days. Just minimize stairs and jumping , Keep her busy with toys and chews.

Thank you! I just called the front office and they told me 2 weeks recovery?!?! I'm like what the what?! But then she said just the first couple days are the hardest... 

Our biggest problem was keeping Enzo calm.  She didn't care to lick at the stitches, but was intent on running and playing.  We finally ended up getting her a sedative, as a last resort.  This, after we returned to the Vet numerous times for the replacement of stitches)

Our Vet Practice recommended at right around the 6 month time period. Our Puppy Pkg. with them, stated anything after 6 months, we would be paying extra. ( We paid one cover-all price, that included all and any Vet visits, all Vacs, her spay, blood work and a boat load of other services)

Gingy was normal after the medicine wore off, she never scratched or anything. We kept the cone on for 10 days though just in case. We had it done to the day she turned 6 months
Our vet recommended spaying at 6 months. Piper spent one night at the vet's following surgery before being sent home with the instructions to wear the cone and keep her calm for 10 days. Easier said than done: you would never know that she'd had surgery within the previous 24 hours, she wanted to be so active! We ended up putting her on a leash to keep her from running and jumping in the house and also to take her outside (to prevent her from running and chasing squirrels!). We never used the cone: instead, I used one of my t-shirts to cover the incision area and prevent licking whenever she was unsupervised and at night, in her crate (t-shirt method: put puppy's head thru the head of the shirt and front paws thru the arms. Tie the bottom of the shirt around one leg/hip, to prevent the shirt from riding up. T-hirt should be snug enough to prevent riding up/access to the incision, but loose enough to allow movement. This worked best when in the crate--the crate limits Houdini-like maneuvers). I did not need to take any time off from work. Good luck!
We got Phobe spayed at 6 months. I had a long weekend at work so I was able to stay at home with ther for 3 day. After that she went tot he outside kennel while we were at work and we didn't have any problems :) Even after destroying her come, she didn't seem to really lick the stiches. She was pretty much healed up after about a week. Every dog will handle it differently. We just made sure she didn't jump or sprint really hard, and we looked at the stiches twice a day to make sure they weren't red and that they were healing properly.

The vet I had at the time wouldn't do it before 6 months on most dogs and 9 months on large ones. I had Annabelle done at 6 months. I didn't want to deal with a dog in heat when I live out in the country. I was afraid early some morning when I had her out and it was still dark, we would be attacked by a pack of horny male dogs.

She was groggy and slept quite a bit, the first 2 days. On the fourth  day she was back to her old self. I still had to carry her up and down the steps for 2 weeks. She did wear a cone of shame because she would lick her stitches. I took her in at 7:30am and picked her up at 4pm. She didn't have  to spend the night.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service