DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I brought little Franklin home last Saturday. Like any puppy, he vacillates between being a sweet little thing and a complete terror! We have had an issue with a stomach bug that should be cleared up in a day or two. My question: he will be 9 weeks tomorrow but will not be cleared for public interaction (doggy park) until 12 weeks or more, when his Parvovirus immunizations are completed. Any thoughts on socializing the little feller in the meantime? My wife's poodle avoids the pup or snarls and growls, thus providing little or no help. Thanks for any thoughts you might offer.

Views: 467

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Franklin is an adorable puppy and what a cute name!
We are in this phase with Maci, our second doodle. We take her with us as much as possible, either by carrying her, in a grocery cart, or even pulled in a wagon.
 photo imagejpg1_zps4f91c4df.jpg
Lowes allows dogs, so we've had her in there in a grocery cart as well as in pet stores. I took our first dog, yogi, to a truck stop to see and hear big semis, also got to expose him to many men. Some in hats, some big or small, also black or white. Playgrounds are good too, just sit on a bench and let him observe. The kids will flock to him! Also, I have taken both dogs downtown where the horses pull the carriages to get used to large animals. We have a circle downtown where people frequent on weekends when the weather is nice. My DH actually asked a man to start his motorcycle and rev it up so Maci could hear it. ( he was very happy to oblige).
If you have friends or families with immunized dogs, get them together in a safe place. Once I took a tarp across the street and put it down so my doodle could be on it to see our neighbor's dog because there was no safe place on the ground. Also took a big piece of thick plastic downtown a couple weeks ago and my DH, our two dogs, and I just sat on it on the ground beside the canal just outside a festival. Everyone stopped and talked to Maci.
You get the idea, just be creative and go, go go! Expose him to everything you can think of, big busses, loud noises (the internet has noises you can play like sirens, fireworks, etc), large flags on poles, bicycles, just anything he will encounter in life. It may not be easy, because these doodles just want to get out and run on their own. Maci hates being carried while yogi is walking, but time passes fast, and in the end you will have what I've heard referred to as a bullet proof dog ;-)

Also, last idea for you, we have Maci in a puppy training class that she started at 9 weeks. They bleach the floors before the puppies go in ;-). That has been great as well because she is still getting used to other dogs and is a bit timid.
Just have fun!
The wagon is a great idea! How do you keep him from attempting an escape?
David,
Maci is wearing her harness with a leash that only gives her a small amount of wiggle room. One of us pulls the wagon, the other walks behind to be sure she is okay and not trying to jump out. She did try to jump at first, but we were right there. It's not the easiest thing, but worth the effort.
Thanks!
Leslie, I decided that a collapsible wagon might do the trick, so I have one on order. If I could bother you one more time: any suggestions as to a suitable harness for the little guy? He is currently 6 1/2 lbs. thanks so much for you help!
We use the petsafe easy walk harness, then just attach the leash to it, then hooked it in the wagon. Do be careful though, because Maci tried to jump out twice as she was getting used to it.
Next thing you need to do is get a horse ;-)
 photo imagejpg5_zps0fe79fc0.jpg
naaay!
Your pup looks just like Franklin. Is the older one a mini? How much does that one weigh? I am expecting Franklin to weigh 25 to 30 lbs.
Hi David,
Yes, Yogi is a mini ( a large one)! He weighs 38#'s. He stopped growing 2-3 months ago. He is 11 months old now. He was the biggest of the liter and we expected him to be 35-38#.
Also, you mentioned 12 weeks before being cleared, shouldn't it be more like 16 weeks before his gets the last round of immunizations? Be safe!

My son's lab is 12 weeks and she is done with her shots till next year....I don't think they wait as long between shots these days....I know years ago with my Springer it was 16 wks.... my doodle will be here at the end of the month and I can't wait....was getting a GD but the mother didn't conceive.... so now getting a blue Aussiedoodle, and he is a doll baby....grandkids want to name him Potter cause he will be whimsical looking

I think my vet said that the immunization is touted to be effective at 12 weeks but many vets urge 16 in an abundance of caution. The link about a killer parvovirus strain in eastern Canada suggests that caution is in order

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service