DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have an 18 month old Doodle and I can't get her to stop jumping on people when she is excited. She knows she isn't supposed to do it & wont jump on me. But too often when we meet people, she will want to jump. Any suggestions, I feel like I've tried everything.

Views: 158

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

That is quite a cute snow bunny you have there!

I would love to know too, Cheddar is turning 6 months this week and has started getting more excited and jumping more when greeting people. He calms down soon after, but it is getting hard to have him meet people calmly.

When people come to my house (which isn't often) Turbo gets real excited and jumpy...So I put him on a leash and make him sit then when the person or persons get seated I let him get close enough only so they can pet his head. When the petting is over I take the leash off and he doesn't jump on them. Turbo will be 1 on Jan 6th.

This is how we learned to control it in our CGC class. Yeti still loves people so so much and gets excited to see any one! We have been through CGC twice now (he didn't pass the first time because of his excessive jumping) and I can say although he still jumps like a crazy guy he is getting SO much better.
We have a 6 ft leash and I grab the leash and anchor it into my belly holding the leash so he doesn't have any slack. If he sits and stays we heavily treat and praise him. If he continues to be wild I try to put him in a sit / stay while I have the other person ignore him. Once he has gotten the hint I will have the other person turn around to greet him but only if he remains calm (or at least semi calm) if he starts acting crazy I'll have the other person turn around again and we start all over. It gets old and it's probably the last thing you want to do every time someone comes over (or gets home) but it really has been working. Just takes time and patients and lots and lots lots of practice.
If we can't get him calmed enough to my liking, I will put his gentle leader on him. He really doesn't like his GL but he is a completely different dog with it on. I know for certain that he could have passed with flying colors the first round of CGC if we were allowed to use them but were not

Kim, I hear your frustration - you are probably so exhausted from dealing with this!  I think the comments from Lorry and Haley are excellent.  

My 5-month old mini Aussiedoodle, Dash, gets uncontrollably excited when seeing, meeting, & greeting anyone.  Getting her to keep all 4 feet on the floor seems to require more patience & persistence than I possess, ha ha!  Stepping on the leash (no easy feat when she is jumping) is the thing that has been the most effective.  There is only enough length for her to sit or stand.  I praise her lavishly.  I'd feed her treats if she weren't too excited to take them.  It's also great to enlist the help of a friend for short practice sessions.  Check out www.dogmantics.com for free, short & totally positive videos on jumping (and many other behaviors).  (Same videos are available on YouTube under Kikopup.)  My best advice is to keep trying & don't give up - you will get results!  

P.S. Your pup has such an adorable little face!  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service