DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've heard great things about Kongs...but am I the only person here who can't get their pup interested in the kong for more than 2 minutes?

I'm stuffing it with peanut butter, I stuff it with carrots, I stuff it with the Kong treats, and nothing!!!

After a minute, he's moving on to something else.  What has proved successful for the everyone else but me?

Views: 323

Replies to This Discussion

Yarrow used to enjoy it for its wonky bounce, but she and her sister, Shiloh, couldn't care less about it. They also don't like peanut butter!
Rippley didn't care until very recently. He is six -1/2 months...

My pup has never liked the Kong, big disappointment :(  He could careless about it, and I have tried everything in it.

The only Kong thing my two doodle like are the Kong squeaky balls and they love love those!  They do not like peanut butter either.  They prefer to chew on bully sticks, but I have cut way back on those too.  They get the occasional Whimsee and Beau loves antlers.  Charlie would rather eat a cookie! LOL

Yes, antlers! My girls love them, well only the ones sliced down the centre lengthwise. I read some discussion somewhere on DK as to whether or not it was okay for them to actually eat the antler. I was watching a documentary on caribou a few days ago. I was blown away to see that the caribou actually eat the shed antlers that litter the landscape. Apparently, the antlers contain necessary minerals that help the caribou grow new antlers! Isn't Mother Nature amazing! So, based on that, I think it is okay for Yarrow and Shiloh to gnaw away on those (pricey) things until there are just little pieces left. Then I consider them a choking hazard and dispose of them.
Leo is almost 6 months. He doesn't like kong either. He would rather have a bully stick or a soft toy that crinkles.
You're not alone! Max (9 weeks) couldn't give a toss about the Kong. His favourite food is liver and even that stuffed into the Kong doesn't hold his attention. Empty milk cartons or stuffed toys on the other hand......

Margot doesn't seem to care about Kongs except when I use it to hold a meal sometimes. She does like the Planet Dog Strawberry and Artichoke, which are basically the same idea. She'll chew on them and play "fetch" with them. It has a minty scent so that might help. But throughout the day she chews on the other different types of toys more - antlers, rope toys, plush toys.

One trick that works well and keeps them busy is feed ALL of their meals out of the kongs only. We switched after our trainer told us about it and our puppy was getting bored eating his meals from the bowl. Worked like magic. Ours barks like crazy while eating now ... not sure if that's a good thing! Now you show him a kong and he goes bonkers.

Attachments:

You are not alone. Hurley has never gone for Kongs or any other toy that I can stuff with PB or carrots, etc.

Kong isn't a hit with daffy doodle. Besides, they refuse to put safety warning on their products and to place x-ray visible squeakers in their other products as well. Be careful.

Sawyer will eat the yogurt out of it and that's it. He could care less. But he loves balls!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service