DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So Sam was neutered on Friday. He is doing really well, but I am having a hard time keeping him calm. He wants to run around like his normal self. The vet said to keep him confined to the house except to go to the bathroom for 7 days. It's only day 2 and I'm already going crazy. The vet did give me a sedative for him, but I'm not too sure about that. For the most part he hasn't been licking the incision, but he does get to it sometimes and I stop him. Would it be horrible to take him for a walk? I also noticed this morning that his incision looked, not open, but as if the surgical glue was gone maybe? He has stitches on the inside and then surgical glue on the outside. Should I be concerned? I can not get the e collar on him that the vet gave me. I'm not really sure how they expect him to just let me stick his head in the little hole. Any advice on that would be great too! My nights have been short since I am sleeping lightly so I can hear if he starts to lick. Help!

Views: 176

Replies to This Discussion

If his incision looked good I would definitely feel fine about taking him for a walk. I think you may want to keep him from running free and jumping but a walk should be fine. Is the incision looking red where it is separating... like there is infection? I would call the vet about the incision issue. 

Yes, your vet thinks you should be able to have the dog sit and put the cone over his head. You could try to have the dog sit and stand with your feet next to his body facing the same direction as the dog to hold him with your legs as you slip the collar on.  If he is not bothering the incision, don't worry about it. Another option many of us have used is a pair of boy's underpants on the dog with the dog's tail going out the fly. This protects the incision for a dog that is not actively anxious to lick it. 

I hope Sam does well with his surgery and it is a faint memory soon.

Our older dog just had a minor surgery & I bought an inflatable collar in place of the e collar & it works great.  It's made by Kong...just an inflatable ring that attaches with their own collar with a soft, fleecy cover over it.

Hi Chelsie,

I had my Ellie spayed last month. I don't know how they expect us to keep puppies quiet and calm for 7-10 days, but we tried our best. I kept her confined to the first floor of the house (so she was not going up and down stairs), and often just in the living room so she didn't have a lot of room to run around. We also kept her on a leash in the house for the first few days. This was helpful to quickly get control of her if she started to run around by grabbing the leash. We sometimes tied the leash to ourselves with her on the other end just to make sure she didn't get to her stitches.

As for the the incision looking like the glue has come loose, as long as it's not red or swollen and looks just as it did on Friday when you brought him home, it should be fine. I would give it a few days and then decide whether or not you want to take him back to the vet. You might even be able to call them tomorrow to find out what they think without having to go in.

We kept the e-collar on for the first 4 or 5 days, but by then it was already starting to really irritate her neck (the collar was adjusted very tightly to keep the ecollar on properly). After that I put her in tshirts, with one on her front end and back end to be absolutely sure she couldn't get at the incisions (she had a hernia repaired as well and that was a bit higher on her stomach).

Good luck with Charlie!
Sorry, I meant to say Sam! haha, not sure why I said Charlie.

My Charlie was the same way. Just got his stitches out a few days ago. He played with his sister and was normal 2 days later. As long as he is not irritating his incision, and there is no fluid, puss ect. My vet says it is ok. He did not have to wear a cone either. His sister was spayed at the same time. Both are doing great!

I had Buster and his german shepard brother fixed at the same time.  I was able to keep them calm for a couple days, but after that...they were playing like nothing ever happened.  The vet tech gave me this tip.  If he is licking at all, put some bitter apple around the area ( not on ) with your finger, and it will stop him. It sure worked here!

We just had Abby fixed on Thurs.  She did well, but the e-collar is a nightmare.  She has not messed with her incision much at all.  We have taken her for walks, we just make sure everything is clean.  She had a little bit of an allergic reaction to the glue, according to vet, when we took her back on Sat.  to have it checked.  He said no worries, just a cold compress.   We cannot keep her quiet either.  Just do the best you can!   Good luck.  We do keep the collar on at night, so we can get some sleep.

you may have luck with an inflatable collar...they are so much easier on the pet

Quincy was neutered last Thursday and he is fine already.  We walked him all weekend on a leash and tried to keep him from jumping- but he still bounded up and downstairs and leaped on to the bed- just as he always does.  I would think they are better off walked and tired out so as to be distracted and then tired so they leave the suture line alone. That being said, Quincy's suture line is intact with no redness or any sign of disruption.  We were able to avoid the e-collar.  Good luck! 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service