DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So, I did this same thing with all 3 of my kids...as I laid pregnant in bed at night I would think....what have I done?!, what was I thinking?! How am I going to deal with this?!....and again, as our puppy should be born any day now I'm doing the same thing! LOL!  (No, I don't think I'm having a puppy...lol) I'm reading things about puppy nipping, eating poop (oh no no no no no), humping (things to whomever titled their message "The Humpty Hump", I'm going to bed with visions of that video in my head...I've given away my age I think), getting sick and needing pumpkin and I'm like...AHHHH!  

I'm sure I'll be okay, I realize our little pup will be much like a baby for the first few months and that training and patience will be of much importance.  I like order, I like things to be clean.  I choose a Goldendoole b/c they seemed so dang smart and were less likely to shed (although I'm fully aware this is not a guarantee). 

Maybe b/c its closer I'm feeling more like....AHHHHHHH. :)  So so excited though!  We couldn't have dogs growing up and it took me about 12 yrs to talk DH into this!  Our kids are sooo fired up!  I've been wanting one my whole life!  But at the same time I'm like....AHHHH. :):)

So a few thoughts/suggestions:

1.  I'm planning on Taste of Wild as our puppy food.  Our breeder uses Exclusive Brand Dog food.   The puppy will have been eating that so we plan to switch over after being with us for a week first.  We figure introducing the food change after the initial new environment change would be good.   I'm guessing from what I've read that doing this very very slowly is best.  Like 1/4 of a cup or less at a time.  Thoughts?  Anyone else using the TOTW?

2.  What kind of treats can I give such a little puppy for training?

3.  Anyone have any books they especially liked?

Thanks!

Margie

Views: 610

Replies to This Discussion

Don't worry!!! You will be fine. A couple months of pure puppy hell will turn into a lifetime of a wonderful family companion.

I fed TOTW but after they had a recall that landed my older Golden in the vet for three days we swore off the stuff. Up until that point though, both my three year old Golden and Doodle pup did great on it.

As far as treats go, I always used just the smallest soft training treats I could find. There are several different brands and varieties. But I liked just being able to give them a tiny pinch of a treat that way they wouldn't load up on treats and not eat meals.

And books! I LOVE all of Cesar Millan's books and would recommend those, definitely. Also, this forum has loads of information and friendly folks to answer any questions.

Good luck! You will be amazed at how much your puppy will annoy you and entertain you all at the same time :)
I've been watching the Cesar videos on training consistently! What food do you use now in place of TOTW? Is there any dog food that's never been recalled?

Margie - You may want to look at the Food Group as they have lots of wonderful information about quality foods. I went to my local store to buy one of the quality foods, but was told that FROMM is a family owned multi generation family that has never had a recall on food. So, that is the one I decided to use. Karen, on the Food Group can give you lots of great tips on food. Good luck on your new pup.

Thank you!

I read this and had to respond.  I too remember those nights when I reached the point of "there really is a baby that will be born and I have to care for it, WHAT WAS I THINKING??"  I have 5 children.  :)    We have had Bennie for 4 weeks now and he has really filled our hearts!  Yes, there is humping, and like Humpty, he likes to bite...( I remember the lyrics too)  but just like our children these sweet puppy days are numbered and the precious times far outnumber the less fun ones.  Of course it is work, but how boring would life be if everything came easy?  This companionship is worth working for.  My previous dog passed in January and I called him my unconditional lover.  He was always happy to see me.  He loved my cooking.  He hung out with me no matter how awful I looked.  He did not talk back (often) like my children do, and he was always available to listen when I needed to vent.  In my opinion, THIS is why you are about to do what you are doing.  You may have some puppy piddle ahead, but you also have love and loyalty around the corner, and that is priceless. 

Awe!!!!! That's the sweetest most encouraging thing! Thanks so much for sharing that. :) I'm so looking forward to that kind of connection with our future pup and am very willing to put the work in for a worthy outcome in the end! Thanks so much!
I love these responses! One thing I've seen recommended by the experts here is to wait two full weeks before beginning to change your puppy's food no matter how poor a dog food he's been on. If the pup has diarrhea you won't know if its stress, worms, parasites, dog food change. Might as well eliminate that possibility. Just moving into your home is going to be a big shock for the little one without adding new food.

There will be days (or nights) when you will wonder what you could have been thinking. It gets better and better. Every thing mellows out eventually. We have two doodles. One was the easiest puppy we have ever had and the second was the hardest, by far. Guess which one we got first. But now our little monster is 2 1/2 and he has us laughing every day. All that naughtiness has gradually turned into "personality". Our good guy remains sweet, gentle and the joy of my heart. The two are black and white in every way. We are truly blessed!

Enjoy your darling doodle and keep posting! Pictures please!
Lol! Well, my first kid was by far the hardest baby and we kept going b/c it was worth every minute. Somehow I think this will be our only pup as DH was a pretty hard but to crack. He grew up with dogs though and has known me for 19 yrs. I think he just knew that a puppy wasn't a good idea until I wasn't dealing with kid poop anymore! Lol! Now everyone's old enough to participate in training and on every other aspect, but young enough to be creating the memory of having a dog while growing up. :)

Thanks for the input about waiting on the food. I wil wait at least two weeks to change food and as long as all is well slowly begin the process.

I can't wait to post pictures!!! The mama is due today but saw the vet on Tuesday who told our breeder that she probably wouldn't deliver this weekend. But anyway now!!
Thanks again!
Might I encourage you to NOT watch Cesar video's. instead perhaps try some of the clicker training videos? Especially for a new puppy. Reward based training at this stage is best and you can start straight away. . Kikopup comes to mind. Also head over to the training group and read through some of the posts there. We have some people here who have great experience. I also thought each time I was "expecting" a puppy that I must be mad but my two doodles were the best thing for my family with no regrets. Good luck with your new "furbaby".

Thank you!  I actually really like Cesar, but I also think balance is important and I'm guessing (b/c as previously stated, this is my first "furbaby";)) that each dog is different and might be motivated and by different forms of training.  Just like my kids?  lol!  We'll see!  Thanks for your input!!  PS - I really like Kikopup!  We started watching her videos a few months ago!

Margie,

You and I are the SAME!  I get my puppy in a few weeks, and am really excited!!  However, as I curled up in bed last night, I was like 'enjoy the moment' because I feel I won't have my sleep once the puppy gets here!  I have cleared my schedule for the summer, and realize that it is all about training the people more than the dog!!

I have started stating to the family members on 'how it is going to happen'.  ie. the dog will not be encouraged to jump up on people (cute while a pup, but not so cute grown up), you will have a toy in your hand to discourage nipping, you will NOT feed the pup chips, etc etc. I get the eye rolls, but since my  nickname is Staff. Sargent Sissy, I think all will comply! or else!! ha ha ha

Here's to hoping the little ones don't disturb too much of the order in our homes!!  

Lol!!  I can totally relate!!  The pic of your puppy is soooo cute!!!  My summer is the same!  We homeschool and continue to homeschool through summer, but this summer will be creative for sure!  I'm actually working on what the kids will be doing already so its ready to go and we can train puppy most of the summer!!

LOLOLOL!!!  YES!  I have been letting family members know whats up with "how this is going down" in a most detailed way!  I've got templates ready to fill in for scheduling, and changes of scheduling!  What's okay and what's not!  A sign for the door "Please do NOT pet, talk to, or make eye contact with puppy.  He is in TRAINING!" 

I'll look forward to seeing how things go with you b/c you're getting your puppy before I do!!!  

Mine should be born any day now!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service