DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It's been a bit rough during the day! Lola is 8.5 week, we tether her at night where she can hold it from 10:30-6:30 with no accidents. Day time, we go out at minimum every 2 hrs. The past 3 accidents, she'll go out, poop and or pee. Come back in and 15 min later without sniffing or telltale signs, she'll pee again!! I don't know if I need to leave her in the crate more often or not?? We have her running after potty breaks thinking that she's good to go and will run off energy...but she's just peeing! She spends maybe 2-3 hours in her crate a day. She eats in there while we eat..and this evening she was in for 2 hours. She held it fine. I'm just at a loss!!

Views: 424

Replies to This Discussion

Denise i saw your comment about your puppy having a uti and i have a 11 week old puppy who is on second round of anti biotics for a urianry tract infection. im interested in waht your saying about the food. i just has someone tell me in another post that the food cant cause a tract infection but i beleive it can. our puppy sochi is on iams which is what the breeder feed her and gave us a bag to feed her. im concerned about swiching and cuase her more stomach problmes while she is on an antibiotic that can cause diahrea! but dont want to be giving her food that could be causing uti also . how did you handle switching Jace to new food? and what are you feeding him? thanks!

in some breeds the food they eat causes their body's PH to rise in turn causing a bladder infection and in some cases like jace started to crystallize. I had him on blue diamond thinking this is a high quality food. it did not agree with his system and raised his ph. I went from that to Red Bandana which he tolerated very well. we finished the last round of antibiotics and have not had any issues since. jace really doesn't like that food so I switched him to canine cavier holistic of which he likes even less. lol but it is made to keep the ph balance in check. when i am switching his food I mix his old in with his new to try and avoid stomach upset. I also add some cooked rice or pumpkin. this helps with diarrhea and stomach upset esp while on antibiotics. I ran into a gentleman that trains dogs for security and behavioral issues who told me these breeds of dogs seem to have higher risks for bladder infections. apparently they play hard and get dehydrated quicker than most breeds. which can also start uti's. he suggested in the summer or times when he has played hard outside to put some pedialyte brand or generic, in his water to flush his system out if his urine is dark. to put half water, half pedialyte. works like a charm!! a couple of times and it's gone. also he said to add some warn water to their kibble so they get water that way also and to give wet food on occasion in their dry for added water. too many antibiotics can cause stomach issues later. I certainly didn't want to deal with that. jace can get very gassy from his food so I give him a doggie probiotic now and then. I know some if this may sound extreme, but it isn't expensive and the preventive maintenance is well with the hundreds on vet bills. I hope this helps.
I wanted to add that only use clear non flavored pedialyte. also jace was 4 mths when he had his uti, he is 11 months and we have been uti free. although I do notice when his urine is dark so I start the pedialyte immediately for about 5 days until it clears. plain pumpkin is a great treat 1-2 table spoons mixed in with his dry.

when you say plain pumpkin what is that? where do you get plain pumpkin? i have seen alot of owners use this. also how did you know his ph was high? thanks so much for all your info. i like the idea of adding water to the kibble to increase water intake. so far she has not gotten diahrea from this new antibiotic but think i will get some yogurt today to help prevent  and plain pumpkin if i can find it. is it just ouf of a can like what you use in pumpkin pie?

No! NOT pumpkin pie filling. You will see just plain, nothing added pumpkin in a can. The yogurt must also be plain yogurt...no flavoring.

Some folks use the plain pumpkin in a can for pumpkin pie (and add their own spices) so you will find it with the pie fillings.  Just make sure to read the label and see that it is 100%  pumpkin with nothing added.

Plain pumpkin in a can. the vet tested his urine it was 3 pts above the normal range.  I hope it helps! plain yogurt is great when taking antibiotics.  Jace loved it. I really think he has gotten so used to things being added to his food that he just doesn't plain food.

Of course address the possibility of a UTI. But, regarding the accidents we kept a chart. Days of the week horizontal accross the top, hours of the day vertically down the left hand side. Mark pee, poo, food, water, accidents. You could also add sleep, play etc., although I didn't bother. We used color coded markers. You will soon see patterns. Did this until she could go at least one week without an accident. It also helped to keeps this in a central location, perhaps near the door. This really helped with communication in our family. Rather than always asking, when did she last go out? Just check the chart. You'll need everyone to participate, but it really worked well.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service