DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Protecting open plan living room--what can miniatures jump over?

I am getting ready to enlarge Dinah's world again, as she has become increasingly reliable.  It's gone in stages...first a play pen 48", then the small kitchen, now she has access to kitchen, hall, bath and bedroom.  Once I allow living room and dining room, there are items that are subject to destruction--

She jumps up and down, but not "over" anything at this point, but hoping for anyone's experience in fencing off my furniture and oriental rug in the living room.  Would it be foolish to get the 24-30" high gates etc they sell as in a short time they could be jumped over?  Dinah is currently 10 lbs and 10" shoulder height. Has anyone had experience they can share?  Thanks from Dinah and C,

Views: 129

Replies to This Discussion

I'm guessing that she doesn't chew anymore?  My 7 month old (about the same weight) has begun chewing wood trim and wood furniture.  Heartbreaking.  My problem with the fencing would not be the height, but the strength.  My doodle jumps up and pushes gates.  I don't believe she would jump them though.

Hmmm.  Dinah is still young...4 months.  Hasn't hit the heavy chewing yet. She has been very trustworthy so far. This may be reason enough not to open up that area.  Thank you for the reminder.  She has chewed on some of the junk pieces in the bedroom. But I do have an 18th century chest of drawers that would be disastrous  if chewed.

How old is Dinah again? Winston is 6 months. He is still confined to a crate when we are not home. He will be for a very long to come. He is really only left alone though for maybe 3 hours once or twice a week, so it's not a huge issue for us.

He is on a leash at all times when out of crate and allowed to roam freely now in a larger area of our home, living/dining/kitchen, but if he decides to make a dash for the stairs or elsewhere it's much easier to stop him by stepping on the leash. It's also nice to be able to stop him from jumping up on people who come to the door, by standing on the leash so he doesn't have the option to jump up.

He is never out of site though for more than a minute. He still will occasionally try to chew on the furniture, mostly corner of our wood tables, which of course we redirect and stop him from doing, but he's no where near ready to be left alone at this point, so if we aren't able to have somebody watching him, or if he won't stop trying to wrestle us, which is a bit of an ongoing issue with him wanting to wrestle our arms, then he's placed for a time in his crate.

We live in a reverse plan home since we live at the beach and so our main living is on the second floor, but we do have a family room and two bedrooms downstairs. We don't use gates at the top of the stairs for the same reason as Judi. I'm too worried Winston would jump and that his strength would knock it over and he might lose balance and tumble down the stairs. 

I'd be more worried about strength then height as well.

Ned does not jump over barriers - he is 28 pounds and about 16" at the shoulder.  He can jump - into the back of our Volvo XC90, onto a high bed, and has been known to get bread off of the kitchen counter, so he could do it.  I have had dogs who climb to get over a barrier.  Both Clancy 19" and Charlie about the same height, sail over a 30" baby gate when they want.   It really depends on whether you doodle WILL jump over your barriers more than can they.  Because Dinah is truly a mini mini :-}   A 24" would not be enough,  a 30" barrier probably would, but if you can get a 36" it would guarantee it, I think.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service